[SOLVED] Why won't my PC boot with this hard drive connected?

IrnBro

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
Full context of this issue;

Yesterday I decided to finally upgrade from Win7 to Win10. Using the MS media creation tool, I made a bootable USB (since I assumed that upgrading my system vs a reboot install would do some kind of half assed upgrade instead of a fresh install.)

Upon rebooting, my computer hung with an "A3" error code in the bottom right corner. It just wouldn't boot past that code.

Read some stuff in the morning and how other people have dealt with a boot that sticks at A3, and ultimately I diagnosed that if a certain hard drive (not my boot drive) was connected then this issue occured.

This HDD wasn't backed up so I was afraid it would be totally dead. Needed find a way to back up the data. So first I noticed it seemed to power up normally and make normal noises. Then I figured out how to enable hot swapping and managed to get into it fairly painlessly. I immediately backed up the entire thing just in case it's about to blow up.

Now I've run a few disk health utilities (inbuilt Windows ones and the trial version of HD Sentinel Pro) and they both say the drive is in perfect health.

So why does it cause my computer to freeze at boot? How can I stop it doing this?

Holla

(mobo - msi p65 gd67
cpu - 2600k
hdd in question is a 2TB seagate
win7

lmk if u need any other info)