Why Wont My PC detect my new ASUS Monitor?

ADamnHD

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
Basically i just got a new monitor i wanted to use as a 2nd monitor but when i connected it to my PC via VGA cable it isn't recognised by my PC at all, just my main one, it worked on a friends PC but not mine, help :(

Solution

Okay I think I found your issue. You are using the VGA port from your PC that is on the motherboard itself. I doubt there is a VGA port on that GTX 960 video card. If it is connected to your PC's motherboard and not your video card, then that port is disabled by default with the installed graphics card. Long story short, there is either onboard...

CerealBox21

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015

Right-click the desktop, and select Properties or Personalize. Select Display Settings from the list of preferences.
You should see icons with numbers representing your attached monitors. If one is disabled, it will be grayed out. If the second monitor can't be found, press the "Detect" icon and the monitor should come up.

Select the second monitor and choose to extend your desktop

Your options may be dependent on the graphics card that you have installed. You may need to make these changes from within your nVidia or ATI control panels. If you have these installed, they can be found in your Start menu.

ADamnHD

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

I already have been to display settings and it didnt show a monitor grayed out, i have clicked the detect button still nothing comes up, it just says "Didnt detect another display". I only got this PC last week so i doubt any of the parts are broken. I have done all the latest driver updates. My graphics card is a GTX 960 if that is any use to you.

ADamnHD

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

My primary monitor is connected via HDMI, my new monitor only has one port which is a VGA port.

ADamnHD

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
JavaScript:

im not using any type of adapter on my PC, and yes, its plugged in the same way, he has two VGA outputs on his PC, once for the graphics card and once for the CPU or something like that, im not too great with PC's but i know the basic, ive literally just connected the cable from the VGA cable from my PC to the monitor, my friend did the same. I only have 1 VGA port on my PC.

Okay I think I found your issue. You are using the VGA port from your PC that is on the motherboard itself. I doubt there is a VGA port on that GTX 960 video card. If it is connected to your PC's motherboard and not your video card, then that port is disabled by default with the installed graphics card. Long story short, there is either onboard graphics from the CPU (motherboard output), or external graphics from the GPU (video card). You can't run both at the same time.

So what you'll need to so is what I was asking about earlier: buy a DVI->VGA adapter for the VGA cable and use the DVI out on the GPU for the second card. The video card will need to drive both monitors. You have two options:

1) The adapter (your monitor should have come with a DVI cable...wide white connectors):
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DVI-Cable-Adapter-DVIVGAMF/dp/B000067SOH

2) Or to make things simpler and reduce potential video quality issues with the adapter, just buy a DVI-out to VGA-in cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=5910&gclid=CNK_662p-ssCFdcYgQodAOQOGA

Solution

ADamnHD

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

Yeah, good idea, probs just gonna buy an adapter there not that expensive, thanks so much dude, really needed help with this, literally didnt know what i was gonna do :)