Question Why wont my pc shutdown?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Hi, I made a new build but when I put the pc in sleep mode or shutdown, the fans will keep spinning.
Specs:
I7-4790
16gb ram
Gtx 1650
256gb m.2 ssd
Asrock Z97 pro4
Im used to stop hearing the fans when I put my pc in sleep mode or shutdown. But with this new build it doesnt for some reason.
It only shuts down when I remove the power.
Ps: im using a test rig, so I start my pc with a screwdriver.

Ralston18

Titan
"so I start my pc with a screwdriver. "

Question: why?

How are you putting the new build to "sleep" or otherwise shutting it down?

Double check all PSU, motherboard, and case connections per the applicable User Guides/Manuals.

PSU: make, mode, wattage, age, condition (new, used, refurbished)? If the PSU is modular, did you use any power connection cables from any other PSUs?

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a test rig. For all intents and purposes that's a fully assembled breadboard. No case.

Op. Equipment isn't identical or the same as prior, it's different. And setup differently. Sleep mode is nothing more than a low power mode, of which there are several stages or 'states'. When a pc is active, that's C-0. Sleep is C-1 upto C-8. With each successive level, the cpu drops into a lower power budget range, so certain things get shut down, others do not. And that takes time.
Typical C-states are:

C0 – Active Mode: Code is executed.
C1 – Auto Halt
C1E – Auto halt, low frequency, low voltage
C2 – Temporary state before C3. Memory path open
C3 – L1/L2 caches flush, clocks off
C6 – Save core states before shutdown and PLL off
C7 – C6 + LLC may be flushed
C8 – C7 + LLC must be flushed

It can take upto @ 2hrs in sleep mode to hit C-6. The cpu itself will determine exactly when there's insufficient power usage to require active cooling, which could be at C-3 or even C-6 or even never and cpu temps will play a large role in that.

Sleep mode or hibernation isn't Off. Off isn't even Off. Psu Off is the only real Off, because the psu is always active if It is on, as is the motherboard. 'Off' only equates to the OS being inactive. The motherboard and psu must remain in a Standby state of 'On Readyness' otherwise when you hit the 'Power On' button, nothing would happen.

So you can't really compare the new build to the old build, it's different, and will behave differently, within the confines of what's normal for that particular pc build.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022

Double check all PSU, motherboard, and case connections per the applicable User Guides/Manuals.

PSU: make, mode, wattage, age, condition (new, used, refurbished)? If the PSU is modular, did you use any power connection cables from any other PSUs?
I dont have a power button so with a screwdriver I jump start my motherboard. It boots into windows. And in windows I press sleep mode or shut down, both wont stop my fans from spinning

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022

Psu is cx500m

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
It's a test rig. For all intents and purposes that's a fully assembled breadboard. No case.

Op. Equipment isn't identical or the same as prior, it's different. And setup differently. Sleep mode is nothing more than a low power mode, of which there are several stages or 'states'. When a pc is active, that's C-0. Sleep is C-1 upto C-8. With each successive level, the cpu drops into a lower power budget range, so certain things get shut down, others do not. And that takes time.
Typical C-states are:

C0 – Active Mode: Code is executed.
C1 – Auto Halt
C1E – Auto halt, low frequency, low voltage
C2 – Temporary state before C3. Memory path open
C3 – L1/L2 caches flush, clocks off
C6 – Save core states before shutdown and PLL off
C7 – C6 + LLC may be flushed
C8 – C7 + LLC must be flushed

It can take upto @ 2hrs in sleep mode to hit C-6. The cpu itself will determine exactly when there's insufficient power usage to require active cooling, which could be at C-3 or even C-6 or even never and cpu temps will play a large role in that.

Sleep mode or hibernation isn't Off. Off isn't even Off. Psu Off is the only real Off, because the psu is always active if It is on, as is the motherboard. 'Off' only equates to the OS being inactive. The motherboard and psu must remain in a Standby state of 'On Readyness' otherwise when you hit the 'Power On' button, nothing would happen.

So you can't really compare the new build to the old build, it's different, and will behave differently, within the confines of what's normal for that particular pc build.
So really the only way to shut down my pc is the psu button? When I press sleep mode, I dont have display anymore, like usual. But when I press my mouse or keyboard, I still dont have display. Maybe this is a bios thing? Or faulty components?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
4th gen is Haswell. Many of those really old, group regulated psus like the builder cx500m were not designed to handle the ultra low power modes that were instituted with Haswell cpus. That meant once you hit beyond C3 sleep state, there wasn't enough voltage to wake the cpu out of sleep state.

Go into bios, there will be options for sleep mode, you want to choose the light sleep option that doesn't allow the pc to go into deep sleep, beyond C3 state.

Basically with Haswell and newer cpus, you went from a cat-nap to a coma and without the right voltages to wake up, you stayed in the coma. You need to keep the pc in cat-nap instead if you want to keep using sleep mode.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
4th gen is Haswell. Many of those really old, group regulated psus like the builder cx500m were not designed to handle the ultra low power modes that were instituted with Haswell cpus. That meant once you hit beyond C3 sleep state, there wasn't enough voltage to wake the cpu out of sleep state.

Go into bios, there will be options for sleep mode, you want to choose the light sleep option that doesn't allow the pc to go into deep sleep, beyond C3 state.

Basically with Haswell and newer cpus, you went from a cat-nap to a coma and without the right voltages to wake up, you stayed in the coma. You need to keep the pc in cat-nap instead if you want to keep using sleep mode.
Im not home right now, but when I am I will try the light sleep option. My motherboard has a psu connector on the mobo. When I built this build for the first time it asked me to connect the psu cable to the motherboard for the cpu when I booted. Isnt that the extra voltage I need?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022

I cant find light sleep mode. Only deep sleep, which is disabled

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020
My old i7 2600 had this issue, after shutting down the fans will still spin but screen will be black, basically not completely shutting down, same with sleep mode. I disabled the fast start up in power option, I was using Win 10. This solved the issue. Also, check device manager if any drivers showing error. If yes, update it.