[SOLVED] Why won't my PC turn on while gpu is connected?

Jul 13, 2020
My PC shut off completely while playing a game. It only turns on now when the GPU isn't getting any power from the power supply. Tho the GPU fans are kicking on and off every few seconds.

GTX 970.

Solution
So, you used the cables from one power supply with another, different one? Yeah, that will tend to let some smoke out. Cables are not interchangeable from one manufacturer, and often, not even from series to series from the same manufacturer, to the next. There are SOME instances where they are, but you need to verify first. Assuming of course that this is what you are talking about.

If not, then likely that older power supply didn't "still work" or there was a much bigger problem happening with your graphics card and it just came to a head.
Jul 13, 2020
What is the EXACT model of your power supply? If you are unsure, look. It will be printed directly on the label that is attached to the side of the power supply.

Also, how long has that power supply been in service, approximately?

Corsair CX750M less than a year. i plugged in a different power supply (old one from 2015 still works) switch the cables around and smoke just came out of the gpu.

So, you used the cables from one power supply with another, different one? Yeah, that will tend to let some smoke out. Cables are not interchangeable from one manufacturer, and often, not even from series to series from the same manufacturer, to the next. There are SOME instances where they are, but you need to verify first. Assuming of course that this is what you are talking about.

If not, then likely that older power supply didn't "still work" or there was a much bigger problem happening with your graphics card and it just came to a head.

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Solution