[SOLVED] Why won't my RAM overclock anywhere near the motherboard and RAM advertised speeds?

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Hi,

I've looked for many different answers to what is going on. I've tried a few different things, and watched overclocking videos. Most of these examples are not the same hardware options I have. And nothing behaves the way it does in these videos where I watch people doing this.

My hardware:
Patriot Viper 4400mhz (PVS416G440C9K)
Gigabyte Auros Master x570 (Latest BIOS F22)
Ryzen 3900x (Latest chipset drivers as of 2 weeks ago)
Thermaltake RGB 3.0 AIO (Gets CPU to 32 C at idle, 69 C on Cinebench, and 74 on Ryzen Master stress test)

First, I realize I made a mistake by going with 4400mhz. This RAM is definitely on the QVL (I provided the SKU in case someone wanted to double check me), but I now understand that the a better Ryzen approach is generally 3600mhz RAM and Fabric clock speeds in a 1 to 1 ratio. And that is all I am trying to get to. But the RAM refuses to go even close to it.

I have tried the BIOS and Ryzen Master to overclock. My current OC is in Ryzen master at 2x 1533mhz RAM to 1533mhz Fabric with coupled mode on. In fact, I got all of this hardware within a week of the Ryzen 3900x release date, and was able to achieve this overclock on day 1 with the F2 BIOS. This was before the memory was added to the QVL. (To be clear, the 2x 1533 meaning how it is displayed in the application, but it is a 3066mhz actual speed. So 544mhz slower than I want it at, and what it is more than capable of achieving).

Anything higher and it would refuse to take. I'd load in, and Ryzen Master would show the defaults. I don't remember the values for sure, but I think they were something around 1200mhz RAM, and 1066 Fabric at default. Anyway, I was able to increase the overclock to 1600mhz 1:1 with F16. However, since that BIOS, I've been forced to return to 1533mhz 1:1.

I've tried it decoupled just to see if it would even be stable. I know it would have undoubtedly been worse performance, but I just wanted to see if the RAM could go higher uncoupled. Nothing else will work. I've used 1usmus' RAM calculator, and also manually enter values BOTH in BIOS and Ryzen Master. I set the voltage higher based on Patriot memory specifications. I've followed basically all the guides I can find. I've started at very low levels and incrementally increased them to find the highest stable values... and when I do it like that manually, I cannot come close to the 1533mhz 1:1 that I get when I set that in Ryzen Master, and let it handle everything else auto...

I've also used the XMP profiles. One of the profiles is posted in the QVL as the tested and working profile for the Auros Master x570... But it definitely does not work for me. I should also note that literally no values outside of the defaults will stay set in the BIOS. If I set them there, they are seemingly not applied. The values stay as I set them, but when I use something like CPUz to see my speeds and voltage, nothing has changed.

Why would this exact RAM be on the QVL list, but completely unable to come remotely close to what Gigabyte got on this motherboard? This is the Matisse QVL by the way, so they were using one of the Ryzen 3XXX cpu's to test it. Does this maybe mean they were using a Ryzen 3600, for example?

Any ideas of what I might be missing? I can provide pictures if that helps diagnose my mistakes. Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this, and anyone that might have suggestions.

Solution
WHICH slots are the DIMMs installed in? If they are not installed in the 2nd and fourth slots over from the CPU (A2 and B2 or DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 for most boards, but ALWAYS the 2nd and fourth slots over from the CPU, or 1st and 3rd slots if starting at the edge of the motherboard and going to the left) then they need to be moved to those slots.

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Hello tsibiski,

I can't find PVS416G440C9K in any of Aorus Master X570 QVL -- for Picasso, Matisse, and Pinnacle Ridge:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10/support#support-doc

Can you link us to the support page of this QVL you're talking about.

Here is a direct link to the QVL pdf download for Matisse where I find it

The reason you probably didn't find it is because cntrl+f is seemingly not highlighting it. Might be a PDF issue? But it is 19 rows down. The final of the 4400mhz RAM listed, and the only Patriot memory supported at 4400+ mhz.

WHICH slots are the DIMMs installed in? If they are not installed in the 2nd and fourth slots over from the CPU (A2 and B2 or DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 for most boards, but ALWAYS the 2nd and fourth slots over from the CPU, or 1st and 3rd slots if starting at the edge of the motherboard and going to the left) then they need to be moved to those slots.

Solution

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
So I originally installed them in A2 and B2 slots, per the motherboard saying "we recommend that you install them in the DDR4_A2 and DDR4_B2 socket". However, I recently did a full strip down and cleaning of the PC, removing the cooler and re-applying thermal paste. As part of getting that back on positioning it, I took the memory out. And for some reason, I put them back in A1 and B1. That was about a month ago. But I also updated my BIOS and chipset drivers, and have not been trying my new OC with them in A2 and B2.

It just didn't occur to me to check this again for some reason, so thanks for reminding me of that. I'm going to switch them out now and try to boost the OC and see if it works at all.

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
👍

Not just "recommended", but "those slots, by DESIGN of the dual channel memory architecture".

It looks like that was exactly it. Before, I had an older BIOS and this wasn't ready for much of an OC. I switched them back to the right slots and can OC to 3600. Thank you. Sorry for making a post when that was too easy an answer. I appreciate it.