[SOLVED] Why won't my replacement fan spin?

MobbSparta

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
I own an MSI GS63 Stealth Laptop and had a fan wear out on me so I went ahead and purchased a new one to replace. I went ahead replaced the fan and it seemed to work just fine before I put it in. Once I started the computer up the fan spun a bit but seemed like it was struggling. After that I noticed that when the laptop was level the fan refused to spin but then at certain angles it would attempt to spin but couldn't get up to speed. While it spins it will also make a but of an off balance sound not sure how to do describe it.

Solution
I was able to get it fixed. The issue was that a part of the aftermarket fan I bought off of Amazon was about half a millimeter thicker and slightly misshapen and through some reshaping of the fan I was able to get it to work properly.

MobbSparta

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
Sounds like you either missed something putting the laptop back together, like a wire hanging on the fan, or it's not installed quite right, or you got a bad fan from the start.
Ok, I just did some further investigating and it seems that the fan stops or slows down when there is any pressure put on it from the cover underneath the laptop. I unscrewed the panel underneath and the fan only likes to spin when the laptop is lifted slightly off the ground.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's very little tolerance for changes in a laptop, extra space is a premium, so that fan has almost zero room for error. Strong possibility just from your last answer that the frame is slightly warped, so when you add that back panel any pressure acts like the brake pads on a car and the fan quits. You might have to manually adjust the fan frame, put a washer between the mount and frame etc, just to get back the lost clearance.

MobbSparta

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
I was able to get it fixed. The issue was that a part of the aftermarket fan I bought off of Amazon was about half a millimeter thicker and slightly misshapen and through some reshaping of the fan I was able to get it to work properly.

Solution