[SOLVED] Why won't my SoundBlaster Audigy Rx/5 play EAX 4? (it is supposed to support it).

kaishlothon

Reputable
Sep 20, 2017
I'm trying to play Rome I Total War and Medieval 2 Total War and neither will let me use my Sound Blaster Audigy Rx/5's EAX features it says "The sound provider could not be contacted, this could be due to a lack of hardware support." However, I know for a fact my current Audigy at least supports EAX 4 (not sure if Rome 1 had that I think it just had EAX 1 - 3 but why doesn't EAX 4 work?) I have the latest driver and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the games and the driver several times. Does anyone have any ideas?

Solution
I have a Sound Blaster Audigy Rx/5 but neither ALchemy nor EAX4 will work, (which I was told by a Creative/Sound Blaster support technician was supported on my model of card). I have two games that are specifically to work with Creative Labs EAX 2 & 3 (Rome: Total War 1), and the second game is (Medieval II: Total War which supports Creative Labs EAX 2, 3, and 4 but even the EAX 4 that the Creative Labs own support tech told me worked on my model of card says "Unable to activate sound provider, this could be due to a lack of hardware support."

I went to the link you sent me to download Creative ALchemy, File Name: ALMY_PCW8APP_LB_1_45_01.exe, However, when I try to install it all it does is flash a message that says "Starting...

kaishlothon

Reputable
Sep 20, 2017
EAX relied on DirectSound which was removed in Vista. You have to use something called ALchemy to restore EAX functionality.

Now that you mention it you're right I remember ALchemy .... (I'm in the middle of downloading it and then will probably have to restart I'll make a post on the results) But can you give me a clue as to Why the support for ALchemy wasn't bundled with the regular driver? Seems kinda strange.

kaishlothon

Reputable
Sep 20, 2017
EAX relied on DirectSound which was removed in Vista. You have to use something called ALchemy to restore EAX functionality.

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy Rx/5 but neither ALchemy nor EAX4 will work, (which I was told by a Creative/Sound Blaster support technician was supported on my model of card). I have two games that are specifically to work with Creative Labs EAX 2 & 3 (Rome: Total War 1), and the second game is (Medieval II: Total War which supports Creative Labs EAX 2, 3, and 4 but even the EAX 4 that the Creative Labs own support tech told me worked on my model of card says "Unable to activate sound provider, this could be due to a lack of hardware support."

I went to the link you sent me to download Creative ALchemy, File Name: ALMY_PCW8APP_LB_1_45_01.exe, However, when I try to install it all it does is flash a message that says "Starting InstallShield Wizard.." for 2 seconds before the install shield wizard crashes to desktop with no explanation. Can you please help me!

I went to the link you sent me to download Creative ALchemy, File Name: ALMY_PCW8APP_LB_1_45_01.exe, However, when I try to install it all it does is flash a message that says "Starting InstallShield Wizard.." for 2 seconds before the install shield wizard crashes to desktop with no explanation. Can you please help me!
You may have to update InstallShield: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...messages-4733b216-537e-8fdd-9fdd-071448600521

Otherwise, someone found a workaround by installing it on an older version of Windows and transferring it over: https://www.tenforums.com/software-...rying-install-creative-alchemy-universal.html

Solution
Yeah, you need to get Alchemy installed to restore EAX effects.

Since Directsound was re-worked to only be a software stereo driver as of Vista, EAX had to be implemented via OpenAL; Alchemly is the program that remaps the directsound calls into something the audio driver can understand and process. Without that, no EAX effects.