[SOLVED] Why Won't the Wire Stay Connected?

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
I am building my first machine. I cannot get the Power LED connector wires (+ and -) in a Lian case to lock into place when attaching them into the F Panel Header on the motherboard.

The 2 cables are microscopic and not fastened together in one casing as with the PWR and RESET Switches. When I plug one in the other comes ou. They don't 'lock in place'.

Is there a trick to attaching these wires besides using Loctite :)

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Sometimes the front panel pin arrangement differs.
Yes, sticking those pins in can be tricky. Particularly if you have fat fingers in a tight case.
The pins need to be pushed fully down.
I use a thin screwdriver to push them down.

Possibly the pins are a bit defective if they are loose when you push them down.
I have never experienced this.
More likely, the pin did not in the right place, but between pins.
Or, you could try squeezing the holders a bit to make them smaller before inserting them.
@Lutfij Is there any reason they make them like that? (as in, two separate wires as opposed to the + and - being connected like some of the other small wires.)
I think some motherboard mfr's might use a different header pin pattern for the power LED leads. So they split wires like that to accommodate whatever might come up.

Inside each of the wired contacts there's a tensioned wiper that is supposed to engage (friction) on the header pin and hold it firmly. It sounds like the tensioning on that wiper has relaxed somehow.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
Sometimes the front panel pin arrangement differs.
Yes, sticking those pins in can be tricky. Particularly if you have fat fingers in a tight case.
The pins need to be pushed fully down.
I use a thin screwdriver to push them down.

Possibly the pins are a bit defective if they are loose when you push them down.
I have never experienced this.
More likely, the pin did not in the right place, but between pins.
Or, you could try squeezing the holders a bit to make them smaller before inserting them.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
"Squeezing the holders a bit to make them smaller before inserting" sounds like it might work.
How should the holder be positioned on the Pin? There is writing on one surface but on the opposite side the casing is textured and you can see a metallic element. Should the identifier of the wire be facing upwards? Thanks.

"Squeezing the holders a bit to make them smaller before inserting" sounds like it might work.
How should the holder be positioned on the Pin? There is writing on one surface but on the opposite side the casing is textured and you can see a metallic element. Should the identifier of the wire be facing upwards? Thanks.
Yes, wire facing upward but the writing on the plastic shell orientation doesn't matter. There should be a hole in the end opposite the wire, that hole slips over the pin on the motherboard header.

Did you get any of the other contacts in position on the motherboard? like the power switch? or HDD light?