[SOLVED] Why won't Windows install ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
I have a Thinkpad t440s. I change thermal paste and put a better ssd that i allready had , the evo 860 250gb.
I download win10 on my usb stick. I erase all data from both ssd,s. I try install win10, not possible. On set up i see message "we couldnt find any drives ". I follow the procedure i found on youtube using command prompt, nothing works. " No signed drivers were found . Make sure the instalation media contains the correct drives.
I delete usb and download win again. Nothing.

Another problem is that pc trying to boot through network, after fail.
Someone told me to download rufus and again diwnload win 10 on stick but as an iso file.
I took off new ssd , put old again to do it but now, not even old ssd work. Win don't load.
I cant upload pictures here, that's why i write so many infos.

What can i do ?

Solution
I don't think we've cleared up whether you've gotten into the BIOS or not to check things over. Or if you have you haven't found either the boot order or the list of attached drives.

If they don't show up there, not much can be done. I suggest double checking the laptop's internal wiring, if you left a cable undone or loose that could explain everything, which was brought up early on.

Ralston18

Titan
Double check the physical data and power connections to the target system C: drive. Disconnect all other drives.

Use the following procedure for a clean Windows install.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

It appears that you have done or tried some parts of the process.

Work through the process step-by-step.

Read through the process first in order to plan for and prepare for speciic requirements on your part.

Ralston18

Titan
Hardware? Software? It is likely both.

Double check the data and power connections.

For the most part, swapping drives about is problematic.

Depending on circumstances and details the drive swap could:

1) Work

2) Work partially but with many following problems.

3) Not work at all.

( Note: The above is my paraphrasing of similar explanations from other posts within this Forum and elsewhere.)

All in all, a full clean install is the starting point.

Be sure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to other locations (off of the host computer), plus proven recoverable, and readable.

Ralston18

Titan
I believe you are referring to @Colif's reference to BIOS (Post #5).

You are looking in BIOS to see if the drives are appearing. Most likely there is some BIOS menu choice that presents a list of drives and boot priorities May even permit enabling and disabling certain drives.

However, if the drives are not appearing in BIOS that may be because the SSD is not fully or properly connected.

The power and data connection would be a physical check inside the laptop.

You must ensure that the drive(s) connector (or connectors) are fully and firmly in place between laptop's motherboard and the SSD's.

Reactions: manolis kokotsakis

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
I believe you are referring to @Colif's reference to BIOS (Post #5).

You are looking in BIOS to see if the drives are appearing. Most likely there is some BIOS menu choice that presents a list of drives and boot priorities May even permit enabling and disabling certain drives.

However, if the drives are not appearing in BIOS that may be because the SSD is not fully or properly connected.

The power and data connection would be a physical check inside the laptop.

You must ensure that the drive(s) connector (or connectors) are fully and firmly in place between laptop's motherboard and the SSD's.

Where on bios i can see the drivers ? I cant find.

Ralston18

Titan
Physically installed disk drives are shown in several places: BIOS, Device Manager, and Disk Management. And there are other ways to find and list installed physical drives.

Where the physical drives are found in BIOS can and does vary. Look for Boot options or other references to the drives in the BIOS menus.

You are free to explore BIOS to search. Just be careful not to accidentally change something. Use "Cancel" or "Exit without changes" if you do accidentally change something.

Drivers (software) for devices are found by looking in Device Manager, finding the device, right-clicking, and then selecting Properties.

The Properties window that opens should have a tab labeled "Driver".

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
I have this laptop 4 years now. I just decide to change thermal paste and put fasyer ssd. Now situation worse. Win 10 installation dont even start. I checked my 2 ssds on another pc. The old one, couldnt found om my frienda pc. The new yes. I made new partition on it. Agai nothing and the installation not even start.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think we've cleared up whether you've gotten into the BIOS or not to check things over. Or if you have you haven't found either the boot order or the list of attached drives.

If they don't show up there, not much can be done. I suggest double checking the laptop's internal wiring, if you left a cable undone or loose that could explain everything, which was brought up early on.

Reactions: manolis kokotsakis
Solution

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019

You are close to correct sir. I did the mistake. I thought i connect correct the ssd on my laptop, but i didnt
Thatswhy the system couldnt see it. My stupid mistake. But except that. Now i see my ssd on bios, but procedure stop on boot menu and cant go on. I am a bit confused about uefi or not, i cant put up on list the priority boot, if secure boot should be anables or not, etc. I remove battery to return to default settings, nothing. And always my pc start with network boot. I dont know why and how to stop it.

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
I try install new ssd on my laptop (t440s thinkpad).
Something went wrong on new installation of win 10 from my usb stick. I try find on bios, nothing helped.
I put again old ssd back on laptop, to install win 10, from the beginning, with rufus on my usb stick, but now, pc dont start. I have message setup from bios , only the ssd i have and procedure stop there.

What is wrong ?

Status
Not open for further replies.