[SOLVED] Why won't Windows use all my RAM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2020
Hello,
I have tried not for a month to make Windows use all my ram that I have installed, if I check hardware the ram is clearly there and connected, I have tried everything, from msconfig to messing with the BIOS. I am out of options, I managed to make my ram work 1 time at 16gb but have not been able to replicate that result. If you can help I will be so thankful.
Gregor

I managed to make my ram work 1 time at 16gb but have not been able to replicate that result. If you can help I will be so thankful.
Gregor
What does this mean?
Does Windows only see 8GBs most of the time but every once in a while see 16GBs? Did you upgrade your RAM recently? Are all the RAM sticks installed from a matching kit or did you purchase them separately?

Please list your full system specs including the model number of each stick of RAM.

Dec 21, 2020
What does this mean?
Does Windows only see 8GBs most of the time but every once in a while see 16GBs? Did you upgrade your RAM recently? Are all the RAM sticks installed from a matching kit or did you purchase them separately?

Please list your full system specs including the model number of each stick of RAM.

The computer sees the 16gb of ram, but windows limits it to 8 usable gb of ram.
I did upgrade recently and ram sticks are in their socket perfectly.

I messed around with a bunch of settings and windows only allowed the computer to use all 16gb once, but then after a restart that was over, not sure why.

USAFRet

Titan
Run msconfig then go to Boot tab, click Advanced options and put a check on Maximum memory.

Hope that sorts it.
No.
That should be left Unchecked.
That is the default condition, and will use whatever is available.
Much like the 'Number of Processors' checkbox.

Unchecked. Leave it like that.

Any manipulation of that can only reduce the available RAM.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
The computer sees the 16gb of ram, but windows limits it to 8 usable gb of ram.
I did upgrade recently and ram sticks are in their socket perfectly.

I messed around with a bunch of settings and windows only allowed the computer to use all 16gb once, but then after a restart that was over, not sure why.
Did you buy this RAM as a kit (two 8GB sticks in a set) or did you buy each stick separately or at different times?

Dec 21, 2020
Make sure your memory is firmly/fully installed and locked into the slots. Then re-flash the BIOS with the most recent version available, even if already installed.

Upon completion, see if both the BIOS and Windows recognizes all of the memory.
Ok, I reinstalled a bios update and now my pc recognises 16gb of ram and uses it all. THX

Reactions: alceryes
May 11, 2021
No.
That should be left Unchecked.
That is the default condition, and will use whatever is available.
Much like the 'Number of Processors' checkbox.

Unchecked. Leave it like that.

Any manipulation of that can only reduce the available RAM.

I had this same problem until I discovered USAFRet 's answer. I thank you very much.

I unchecked the maximum memory box and my memory went back to 15.9gig out 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.