Question Why would I buy a 3000 series over a 4000 (Nvidia)?

njsporto

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
They are similar in price and memory, so why would I buy a previous version? Would think the 3000s would be discounted (even renewed are similar to 4000)

At some point the previous-gen stock will become less and less available. Nearing the point a brand new previous-gen GPU actually becomes more valuable than the current-gen GPUs due to supply and demand.

njsporto

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
At some point the previous-gen stock will become less and less available. Nearing the point a brand new previous-gen GPU actually becomes more valuable than the current-gen GPUs due to supply and demand.
Understood, but from a technical standpoint, if the nvidia rtx 3000 costs the same as a rtx4000, wouldnt the 4000 be better (newer gpu etc)? I am just wondering why i would pay the same price for a previous gen card, what technical reason I would want a rtx3000 over a rtx 4000

I wouldn't get caught up on 3000 vs 4000 etc it's all about what you're getting for your money. I got a 6800 XT despite it being "last generation" because price vs performance nothing else could touch it and the only downside was relative power consumption.

Reactions: ohio_buckeye