[SOLVED] Why would my desktop suddenly stop recognizing my second monitor and how do I fix it?

xarzu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Why would my desktop suddenly stop recognizing my second monitor and how do I fix it?

When I start my computer, the BIOS message appears on one monitor in my dual monitor set up.
But when the computer login message appears on my windows operating system, it appears only
on the other monitor, and the desktop does not spread to both monitors.
Rebooting used to solve this problem last week, but now even that fails.
Please help.

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Scan Date: 1/23/21
Scan Time: 12:09 PM
Log File: 1a3f5b00-5da6-11eb-a42d-448a5b8b74c8.json

-Software Information-
Version: 4.3.0.98
Components Version: 1.0.1130
Update Package Version: 1.0.36165
License: Trial

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: DESKTOP-EV0ANNJ\REDACTED

Ralston18

Titan
Update your posts to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Change the video connection to another known working video cable.

Change video ports being used.

Temporarily swap monitors 1 and 2.

Swap in another known working monitor for monitor 2.

What "WIN" + "P" configuration are you using: PC Screen only, Duplicate, Extend, Second PC only....? Check.

Key is to narrow down the problem as methodically as possible. Either directly or indirectly.

xarzu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Is there some sort of freeware or utility that i can run easily that will provide all of my hardware specs? I recall that there is something like that but I just don't remember what it is called.

The cables are old. In fact, they have to have a small converter. It is a piece of equipment smaller than a deck of cards, that is used to attach the cables which have an older pin configuration, with the video connection on the back of the CPU. The first thing I tried was to make sure all these connections were OK and then I rebooted. That worked. My system was running normally for more than one day. But I stepped away from my computer and, without doing anything like shutting down or rebooting, the other screen went dead.

So, I would like a recommendation now on good quality video cables to buy.

And while I am waiting for the shipment, I will do a system diagnosis and post the system information you requested.

xarzu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Update your posts to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Change the video connection to another known working video cable.

Change video ports being used.

Temporarily swap monitors 1 and 2.

Swap in another known working monitor for monitor 2.

What "WIN" + "P" configuration are you using: PC Screen only, Duplicate, Extend, Second PC only....? Check.

Key is to narrow down the problem as methodically as possible. Either directly or indirectly.

I was using the dual screen. I did the "WIN" + "P" just now to give it a try and this fixed the system.

I started to suspect this was a Windows 10 operating system glitch of some kind because most of the time these sorts of problems are software related and not hardware related and, I am sure you know, Microsoft does these periodic updates to users computers remotely from time to time. So, what I suspected is that, one of these updates had an undocumented and uncommon bug in it. Since my computer is one that was built by hand, it might be susceptible to a problem that Microsoft would either think is too uncommon or they would not test for.

I was not the only person who thought that a clue to the problem was the fact, as i first stated, the BIOS came up on ONE monitor and the Windows logon screen came up in the other monitor. Humm...

To be clear, I think I should say this. The monitor that showed the BIOS is my monitor in my left. The monitor that showed the Windows OS is the monitor on my right.

I was trying everything I could think of with what windows had to offer in the options that came up when I did a right-button click on the desktop and nothing worked. The Operating System was simply failing to recognize the unavailable monitor.

FNXPaab.png

5GoRdab.png

Someone suggested this and just as an exercise of trying everything I gave it a try.

Ever hear "the truth is stranger than fiction"? It worked. But it worked in a very weird way.

The position of my monitors had to be moved so that the one on my left was on the right and the one on the right was on the left (I think many people can relate to this. Many of us can remember a moment when we would be able to move the mouse cursor all the way to the right of a dual monitor system and it pops up on the monitor on the left.). This kind of makes sense. The system seemed to be confused as to which monitor should be the main one and which one the desktop should extend to. And this windows command seemed to iron out the confusion.

But I want to keep this thread of discussion open. Let's see if this fix sticks.

So, let's keep this discussion thread open. I will update it with my system information according to your suggestion. It might give a clue as to why things went wrong and if this fix is temporary, we will need to revisit this topic.

Ralston18

Titan
Reactions: xarzu
Solution