[SOLVED] Why would my HP reverb run hot after cpu overclock

Pfishc

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
After overclocking my I7 9700K to 5ghz my HP Reverb started running hot. I only overclocked the CPU and the Ram, didn't touch the GPU which is a 2080ti.
Does this make any sense?

Solution
absolutely makes sense. overclocking DRAMATICALLY increases the power draw. every watt in is a watt out that has to be cooled.

the cpu will be pulling well over 200w and can approach 250w at full load!!! you need some serious cooling to keep up with that.

so absolutely it makes sense. your pushing a lot of power and that heat has to go somewhere.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
absolutely makes sense. overclocking DRAMATICALLY increases the power draw. every watt in is a watt out that has to be cooled.

the cpu will be pulling well over 200w and can approach 250w at full load!!! you need some serious cooling to keep up with that.

so absolutely it makes sense. your pushing a lot of power and that heat has to go somewhere.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
[QUOTE="Math Geek, post: 21922541, member: 1619503"
[/QUOTE]

Glad you answered this in a helpful way.....my Trollometer was pegging....apologies if they are due.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
thanks. i sometimes have to go back and edit but this one was pretty easy to answer. it just sounds like the OP has little experience and was not ready for the results of the overclock.

a good follow up question would of course be what type of cooling is on the cpu and what kind of temps he is seeing at cpu loads. most likely what is there is not good enough for the overclock and needs to either be updated to better or that oc turned down a good bit :)

240mm watercooling is the minimum i'd go with and a 360mm one is preferred.