Why you and I should never buy a MSI product ever again

Jun 24, 2013
I recently bought a MSI z87- g45 mother board and I was really excited when I first got it. I could do all the overclocking I wanted and it was just a great board, or so I thought. I open up the board and everything is in place. I take off the CPU socket cover and guess what? A pin was bent. What the hell? How does a pin even bend BEFORE getting to the consumer? But, fine. I realize one pin bent wouldn't completely break the mother board. So, when I was done with my build, I powered up my PC and it booted up. I entered the BIOS and attempted to change the boot settings. But, the BIOS crashed. Its fine I can enter Windows, I just can't overclock or do anything useful with it. But, I just let it slide. Then one day it really started to annoy me and I did a quick Google search. I realized that this BIOS problem has been occurring since the z77 boards. I'm pretty sure they were aware of the problem but decided not to do anything. I bought my board from the US but decided to call their "main" headquarters in Taiwan since I live in Asia. I told them my problem and I asked for warranty, they said that they may not have global warranty and will email me with the information. I said okay and gave my email. A week later they replied with
"Sorry for the late reply!

Regarding your concern, as the MB have no global warranty, we still have to suggest you contact your reseller (The place you bought this MB from), then ask for some help.

Very sorry for the inconvenience caused you!"

I was really pissed off. It’s like they don't want to deal with the problem at all and just wanted to send me to complain to Amazon. I called again and told them I couldn't send it back to Amazon since they only had a 30 day return policy. They did not listen to me and just kept telling me to go to the reseller. After almost an hour of arguing with the guy, he said I will attempt to get you warranty, he didn’t actually say that; I am paraphrasing. I gave them my email again and this time waited for about 2 weeks and not a single reply. I called yet again EXTREMELY PISSED but since their costumer support is so awful, I had to call about 5 times. When I finally got someone, I explained to him my problem. He said something along the lines of I cannot do anything but you can contact the LA office. I was pissed off. I asked them what they even do. Do they just jack off all day and sent people to complain to the LA office or the reseller? Because I'd love to have that job. I mean what the hell? They did not attempt to do anything. I even told them that there is no reason that someone would choose your board over anyone else’s. I mean look at Asus- military grade components THAT WORK, 5 year warranty, and a better price to performance ratio. I asked the guy if I could send it to Taiwan and they send it to the US. I am not going to spend 100$ just to ship the board back. It’s not my problem. I finally told the guy to have the LA office contact me. But, I wasn't going to call them. Their opening times are so inconvenient that I have to be up at least at 3 am. They replied to me today.

Someone at the LA MSI headquarters replied "I can help you to create a RMA# to send the board back to us for replacement.
I understand there is a bent pin (physical damage) on the processor socket therefore a $45 will be charged to your account due to improper use/accident.

Please kindly provide your full name, phone#, return address (US-only), and motherboard’s serial number. I will issue you a RMA# as soon as I receive these information."

OH FUCK NO. I'M NOT PAYING 45$ FOR SOMETHING THAT BROKE BEFORE GETTING TO ME. I explain to them countless times very explicitly that it broke before getting to me. Even MSI's name is misleading. "Micro Star International" has no global warranty, what a fucking joke. Either MSI is a group of fucking retards or they're a group of corporate assholes who would do anything to take your money.

This is why I will never touch an MSI product again. Please think before buying an MSI product.

Update: I have gotten yet another message from MSI with their bullshit.

"It's regrettable that we are unable to do anything for you.
Any physical damage is caused from mishandling as you did not clearly follow the instructions to install the processor properly.
For your information, we do not ship boards with bent pins on them right out of factory."

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Welcome to MSI ;) gave up on them a a couple years back, their QC has been slipping since 2008/9 or so (as have their sales)....most all of the established builders and IT folks I network with also gave up on them quite a ways back, between the poor QC and 'support' they aren't worth dealing with, I get more repair and failure calls on their mobos than any two other manufactures put together....sort of sad, they used to be good but seem content to try and live off their name these days (well last few years)

TRENDING THREADS