[SOLVED] Whys my brand-new NVME already at 96% percent health, according to CDI and HDD Sentinel

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
I purchased my SEAGATE BARRACUDA 250 GB M.2 NVME in December, and have used it only in January

According to HDD Sentinel and Crystal Disk Info, it has only had 26 hours of power time.

Which is why I am shocked that, only after 26 hours of up-time, that its health has already degraded to 96%

In comparison, my HDD, which has 1000+ hours of up-time is only at 99 percent health

I've taken care of my PC (I haven't forcefully shut it down, etc), so I don't know what has caused this

I thought NVMEs are supposed to be more durable than HDDs since they dont have any moving parts

I purchased my SEAGATE BARRACUDA 250 GB M.2 NVME in December, and have used it only in January

According to HDD Sentinel and Crystal Disk Info, it has only had 26 hours of power time.

Which is why I am shocked that, only after 26 hours of up-time, that its health has already degraded to 96%

In comparison, my HDD, which has 1000+ hours of up-time is only at 99 percent health

I've taken care of my PC (I haven't forcefully shut it down, etc), so I don't know what has caused this

I thought NVMEs are supposed to be more durable than HDDs since they dont have any moving parts
Unless there are some problems reported in SMART table, forget about it. It's just some wild guesstimate leftover from first HDDs which came with documented surface errors. There's no way anybody can estimate life of any disk, it may die next minute or last forever.

antonis mark

Prominent
Jan 21, 2021

well idk maybe lack quality?
as for HDD, they don't fail (I mean to monitor the right way) an SSD diagnosis works by checking electron induction (the ability to change status from uncharged + to charged -) and the opposite in its internal storage cells an SSD can measure that right way and tell the health and predict failures. An HDD have micro components and small moving parts that wear out over time as the drive runs, but software cannot detect and monitor these internal part damage in HDD and attempts to estimate it, if HDD is worn out and failure will suddenly come unpredictable in drive's smart diagnostics tool

Show a screen shot of CDI.

USAFRet

Titan
Some tools report "health" as simply a percentage of writes vs <SomeNebulousNumber>.

May have nothing to do with the actual 'health' of the drive.

Additionally, 'health' is meaningless.
You should be prepared for total data loss at any moment. Physical drive death, or any of the other ways all data on that drive can go away.

Reactions: CountMike