[SOLVED] Wi-Fi 6 routers but no 2.5/5Gb ethernet ports

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Is anyone else mad about new ax routers, but no multi-gigabit ethernet ports?
I was planning to upgrade to the new Asus ax mesh routers, but put the project on hold until they give us at least 2.5Gb network ports.

Solution
That is because nobody really wants ports at that speed. They are crap they are trying to sell to the home user market. Enterprise went to 10g ports and is now looking at even faster ports. At the time the 10g ports were too expensive but by the time these came to market the 10g ports had dropped in price.

Pretty much there is no market for them. You might as well just use 10g ports there is much more product on the market and many times it is actually cheaper.

There is also little purpose for any port above 1gbit in home use. Maybe a backup to a NAS might use it but you quickly hit hard drive performance limitations. Your machines have to be designed to transfer data at high rates. Pretty much anyone who needs this...
That is because nobody really wants ports at that speed. They are crap they are trying to sell to the home user market. Enterprise went to 10g ports and is now looking at even faster ports. At the time the 10g ports were too expensive but by the time these came to market the 10g ports had dropped in price.

Pretty much there is no market for them. You might as well just use 10g ports there is much more product on the market and many times it is actually cheaper.

There is also little purpose for any port above 1gbit in home use. Maybe a backup to a NAS might use it but you quickly hit hard drive performance limitations. Your machines have to be designed to transfer data at high rates. Pretty much anyone who needs this at home is doing some uncommon, like doing video rendering on server farms in their house. So again there is little market so you do not see a lot of equipment marketed to home consumers with the feature you need to look at small business equipment.

If they didn't delay it again the new wifi standard was just finalized in December. Many manufactures have waited until the standard would not change to produce equipment so there is not a lot on the market. Everything that is runs the risk of not be 100% compliant.

I strongly suspect this new wifi is mostly marketing hype. It will likely be faster but when the current generation of 802.11ac only get say 350mbps for many people even though they say it will be gigabit speed I have my doubts. I strongly suspect we will see number say in the 700mbps range mostly because they are using 2 times the radio bandwidth. It is going to be interest since in most areas there is only 180mhz of total radio bandwidth allocated by the government and these device attempt to use 160mhz. This mean you and your neighbors have zero change of not conflicting.

Solution