Info WI-FI 6 USB 3.0 adapters cannot reach full 1.2gbps(1200MBPS) download speeds due to USB 3.0 this is my experience

davidlopez91

Prominent
Nov 28, 2022
if I am posting this in the wrong forum please let me know
Okay before I start let me say that my grammar fails so I am sorry and I have posted this post on multiple forums because I think people should know.
So I recently upgraded my internet changed ISP's my old ISP was charging me 70 dollars a month for 25mbps download speeds my new ISP is Charging me 64.99 a month for 1000MBPS download speeds HUGE difference, and they were sending me a new WI-FI 6 router 🙂.

So With this new router and upgraded download speeds I would need a new faster WI-FI 6 adapter.
I went with a USB 3.0 WI-FI 6 adapter because it was easy to install just plug it into USB port and bam Ur good 2 go.(I regret this know)

Before buying I went online and looked if USB 3.0 could use the 1.2gbps download speeds that it says it has on the 5ghz band.

On a forum(I wont say the name) everyone answered that USB 3.0 could handle 5.0GBPS and that my WI-FI 6 USB 3.0 adapter on 5ghz band can only go 1.2gbps.

So I purchased the WI-FI 6 USB 3.0 adapter it is brand TP-Link it cost me 49.99.
Here are the real speeds for USB 3.0 / 3.1 / 3.1 gen 2

USB 3.0 is 5Gb/s, USB 3.1 is 10Gb/s, and USB 3.2 is the fastest at 20Gb/s.

USB 3.0 = 600MBps, 8B/10B signal
USB 3.1 Gen 1 = 600MBps, 128B/132B signal (Formerly USB 3.0 speed, new encoding signal)
USB 3.1 Gen 2 = 1,250MBps, 128B/132B signal (Faster speed, new encoding signal)

So since my WI-FI 6 Adapter is using USB 3.0 I can only go 4.8Gbit/s aka 600mbps MAXX on 5ghz band. My moms old iPhone can download at over 800MBPS on our WI-FI's 5ghz band and its old....... LOL not even using WI-FI 6

I am so sorry for the Spam I just figured I should share this information.

I will be Returning my WI-FI 6 USB 3.0 adapter.

kanewolf

Titan
if I am posting this in the wrong forum please let me know
Okay before I start let me say that my grammar fails so I am sorry and I have posted this post on multiple forums because I think people should know.
So I recently upgraded my internet changed ISP's my old ISP was charging me 70 dollars a month for 25mbps download speeds my new ISP is Charging me 64.99 a month for 1000MBPS download speeds HUGE difference, and they were sending me a new WI-FI 6 router 🙂.

So With this new router and upgraded download speeds I would need a new faster WI-FI 6 adapter.
I went with a USB 3.0 WI-FI 6 adapter because it was easy to install just plug it into USB port and bam Ur good 2 go.(I regret this know)

Before buying I went online and looked if USB 3.0 could use the 1.2gbps download speeds that it says it has on the 5ghz band.

On a forum(I wont say the name) everyone answered that USB 3.0 could handle 5.0GBPS and that my WI-FI 6 USB 3.0 adapter on 5ghz band can only go 1.2gbps.

So I purchased the WI-FI 6 USB 3.0 adapter it is brand TP-Link it cost me 49.99.
Here are the real speeds for USB 3.0 / 3.1 / 3.1 gen 2

USB 3.0 is 5Gb/s, USB 3.1 is 10Gb/s, and USB 3.2 is the fastest at 20Gb/s.

USB 3.0 = 600MBps, 8B/10B signal
USB 3.1 Gen 1 = 600MBps, 128B/132B signal (Formerly USB 3.0 speed, new encoding signal)
USB 3.1 Gen 2 = 1,250MBps, 128B/132B signal (Faster speed, new encoding signal)

So since my WI-FI 6 Adapter is using USB 3.0 I can only go 4.8Gbit/s aka 600mbps MAXX on 5ghz band. My moms old iPhone can download at over 800MBPS on our WI-FI's 5ghz band and its old....... LOL not even using WI-FI 6

I am so sorry for the Spam I just figured I should share this information.

I will be Returning my WI-FI 6 USB 3.0 adapter.
Your WIFI adapter is only half the connection. The router configuration is also important. What channel width is specified?
The phone may get higher throughput because it has MIMO 2x2. That could explain the difference. Or being held at 3ft height and not shielded by your case could explain the difference.
Also remember that WIFI is 1/2 duplex. So a link rate of 1.2Gb will have throughput of 600Mbit.
USB 3.0 vs 3.1 vs 3.2 has nothing to do with your WIFI performance, IMO. USB 3.0 is 4X greater bandwidth than the maximum link rate you are likely to get. Don't get Mbit (WIFI) and Mbyte (USB) confused.
WIFI 6 vs WIFI 5 will not be a significant change for most people.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
I want to find a iphone that can actually download at 800mbps. That is extremely rare.

The vast majority of people only get about 300mbps on wifi. Maybe if you are lucky you get 600mbps next to the router.

Pretty much wifi6 is a big lie. The key problem is it needs to use 160mhz radio bands but there are none of those available only 80mhz unrestricted bands are available. What it does is attempt to use the restricted bands also but part of the rules say if it detect stuff like weather radar it must stop using the band.
Many devices to avoid this issue just do not support 160mhz bands and you end up with 80mhz which is the same as wifi5.

In any case the USB is not the limitation. The problem is the wifi. There are so many variable that affect wifi even if it connected directly to the motherboard. You pretty much just need to accept that you are never going to get near gigabit speeds on wifi.

Although cheaper price is a great reason to upgrade to gigabit speeds the more important question is do you actually need it. I mean if you get "only" 300mbps is that not good enough for what you are doing. Only large downloads really can use the faster connection. Stuff like say netflix will only use 25mbps for 4k movies and will not run better or faster if it has more.

b = bit
B = Byte
1 Byte = 8 bits
1000mbps = 125MB/s
5gbps = 600MB/s

I don't see the problem here. USB 3.0 speed is way faster than your internet speed.

The issue is that wifi is half duplex, not full duplex like ethernet. So if you have a 1200mbps connection speed, your realistic download speed will likely be 500-700mbps based on back and forth overhead.

You likely can't hit proper gigabit speed over wifi unless you move to a 3x3 or 4x4 client radio. Assuming your router is also 3x3 or 4x4.

Or you switch to Wifi 6E using 160mhz channels on the 6ghz band.