Question USB WiFi adapter keeps disconnecting ?

Sep 17, 2024
I got an Archer TX20U Plus Wi-Fi adapter for my Desktop PC.
The problem I have is that it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting (I hear the usb disconnect and reconnect sound) while playing specific games or downloading from Steam.
It always disconnects and reconnects when launching Battlefield 5 and Star Wars Battlefront 2, it also does this the first time joining a game, after that it's stable.
While playing hoi4, it does this every 10 minutes. I don't play hoi4 online, just singleplayer.
When connecting to wi-fi it does the same thing, disconnects, reconnects and then connects to my wi-fi.

Things I already tried:
  • Install the driver included with the adapter
  • Update that driver
  • Install the latest driver from the official website
  • Disabled "Allow computer to turn off this device" in device manager of the TpLink adapter
  • Get a usb hub with it's own power cable
  • Update Windows
  • Reinstall Windows
  • Tried another adapter (TENDA U18 AX1800)

I had an older Archer T4U Plus and the same thing happened with that.
I've got a Huawei Wi-Fi 6 Router (I'm currently at work and can't rembember which one exactly)

Does the event monitor give you any clue as to why it failed. I will assume you have tried different USB ports. I would try both ones directly on the motherboard as well as ones that are connected via cables to the motherboard like front panel connectors.

USB adds another layer of drivers to wifi. If there is any option a pcie card that has antenna that can be placed away from the back of the case tend to be the best performing option for a desktop machine.

Do you have a old router that can run as a repeater/client bridge. You could then connect via ethernet to this. I would not buy anything new to try this a internal card is your best option if you plan to spend new money.