Question Wi-Fi Adapter needs to be reset periodically

OFS_Razgriz

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
I own a custom-built Windows 10 PC that has a wi-fi adapter built in, the ASUS Wireless PCI-E Adapter.

Periodically, I have an issue where I'll drop connection and I have to right-click the Wi-Fi bar and run the Troubleshooter. Most of the time, the Troubleshooter will immediately reset the Network Adapater and this will fix the problem for an hour or two. Sometimes, however, I'll get other errors that force me to get creative, like resetting my adapter, uninstalling/reinstalling it, and even forcing my wi-fi to only use 5G internet protocols (the wi-fi connection I prefer is 5G, but sometimes if the computer has the option to connect to 2.5G networks, it will refuse to connect to the 5G networks for some reason).

I've also noticed that the wi-fi indicator is frequently flipping between the "connected" and "disconnected" symbols. I have a stable enough connection overall that I barely notice it while streaming, but while gaming I'll have bursts of ping that indicate I've lost connection for a brief second.

I tried to set up a Minecraft server a while back for an organization but realized I needed access to my router (at the time I was in a college dorm) halfway through set up. While trying to set that up, I was instructed to create a static IP address for my computer. I've noticed that sometimes when I have errors, one of the errors will be something related to dynamic IP addresses. Could I have made a mistake while editing those settings? Is there a way to reset those settings? Or is this unrelated to the problem I'm currently having?

Ralston18

Titan
Likely interference - especially if your current environment has surrounding wireless networks.

Are you sure that the wired network adapter is disabled?

Is there an antenna on the back of your PC? If so, then you could try an extender to raise the antenna up or otherwise move it about.

Run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

OFS_Razgriz

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
Likely interference - especially if your current environment has surrounding wireless networks.

Are you sure that the wired network adapter is disabled?

Is there an antenna on the back of your PC? If so, then you could try an extender to raise the antenna up or otherwise move it about.

Run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

I did not have the wired adapter disabled, I figured it should just know that there's nothing in the Ethernet port. I've disabled it now. I have noticed that when I lose internet connection, the "No Internet" symbol has the symbol for Ethernet on it and not the symbol for WiFi.

The antenna is on the back of my PC but the router is in a room across the hallway from me less than 15 feet away.

I'm not comfortable with posting the entirety of the ipconfig information, but according to a cursory Google search my configuration is mostly default as I reset it using some commands I learned from a friend.

I think that you may be on to something with the wired network adapter not being disabled, I will check back in a day or two and post an update if that works.