[SOLVED] Wi-Fi and Ethernet drops out separately

etesravan

Prominent
Mar 22, 2020
The internet connection in my apartment disconnects from time to time for ethernet and Wi-Fi separately. My desktop has ethernet connection while my partners laptop uses Wi-Fi. Sometimes I lose my connection while she still has internet and other times it's she who loses connection while I still have internet. When the Wi-Fi drops out we also lose the connection on our phones.

I'm thinking this must be a problem with the router, as it definitely gets internet from our provider even though one of use looses connection. Does anyone know what can cause this and what I can do to fix it?

Solution
The internet connection in my apartment disconnects from time to time for ethernet and Wi-Fi separately. My desktop has ethernet connection while my partners laptop uses Wi-Fi. Sometimes I lose my connection while she still has internet and other times it's she who loses connection while I still have internet. When the Wi-Fi drops out we also lose the connection on our phones.

I'm thinking this must be a problem with the router, as it definitely gets internet from our provider even though one of use looses connection. Does anyone know what can cause this and what I can do to fix it?
You really need to look at the LEDs on the router to see if they provide any insight. It is very unusual for wired ethernet to stop and WIFI to...

kanewolf

Titan

You really need to look at the LEDs on the router to see if they provide any insight. It is very unusual for wired ethernet to stop and WIFI to work. It could be an overheating situation with the router, but that is the only possible explanation that comes to mind.

Solution

etesravan

Prominent
Mar 22, 2020
You really need to look at the LEDs on the router to see if they provide any insight. It is very unusual for wired ethernet to stop and WIFI to work. It could be an overheating situation with the router, but that is the only possible explanation that comes to mind.
Thanks for the answer! Very hard to check the LEDs as I have no idea when the connection is going away. Happens several times every day, but can be hours between. I found an old router in the basement that I'm testing for a couple of days to see if that fixes the problem. The main router is supplied by my internet provider, so if that's the case I'll just have to make them replace it.