[SOLVED] WI-FI Antenna question

Jan 15, 2019
Hey guys, My son just bought himself an MSI-Codex from Fry's. We got it home and all set up and appears to run very fast performing typical "computer" tasks. Once he downloaded Steam and started playing CSGO, however, it started lagging pretty bad. Question is this...we were going to order a wi-fi antenna for it (since wifi in that part of the house is not the best), but most antenna's are designed to plug into a USB port and this computer actually has two small screw in antenna's. Will a USB antenna work on this style or do wee NEED to search for two antenna's to plug into the two small screw in locations on the back? Thank you for any help.

Jan 15, 2019

It has wi-fi. It's already connected via wi-fi and seems to work just fine until a game is attempted.

What you are calling antenna are actually wifi nic cards not antenna

You machines should have come with 2 antenna to put on those ports. The antenna are sold by many companies. What you want to search for is RP-SMA antenna.

Note from a search I did for that computer model the wifi card is not included from all vendors. That said if you have 2 small gold colored screw connectors on the back those are highly likely wifi antenna connectors.

Jan 15, 2019

Yeah it came with two small antennas that we do have connected. They are only 3" long and are hoping to connect something (to both of those?) that can sit on his desk and get better reception. I may just run a hard line into his room.

Jan 15, 2019

That looks very interesting. So the connection ends up being through the existing electrical lines? Surely that couldn't be the same as if I were to simply run a line from our router into his room. Right?

Jan 15, 2019

Yes, we have two small gold connectors on the back of the machine that we have connected two (provided) antennas on. They are two, pretty small 3" antenna's and am thinking we would get better connection if we could connect to those two connector and have an antenna sitting on his desk.

Running a line or using the linked powerline connection would be the best choice.
A larger, or free standing antenna setup might help, but not by much.

I agree with the above. Best is always a ethernet cable. You will get consistent 1gbit speeds which is likely much more than your ISP connection. Next is the powerline units. The latest generation of powerline units (like the ones linked) are about the same speed as wireless but they tend to get less random interference that wifi which is important for games. If you get 300mbps on either technology you are doing very well so you can't even compare to ethernet.