[SOLVED] Wi-Fi card randomly disconnects my PC from my Wi-Fi

Tekiya

Honorable
Aug 30, 2015
Hello,
I have an ASUS PCE-N15 11n Wi-Fi card installed on my PC, and it has recently started randomly disconnecting from my home Wi-Fi for no apparent reason. It usually happens every 5 minutes or so, and it then reconnects within 10 seconds. I've had this Wi-Fi card since 2017, when I first built my PC, and it has never given me any issues until now. I've tried updating drivers and using the Windows troubleshooter, but the problem persists. I have verified that my Wi-Fi isn't the issue, as my phone can maintain a stable connection to it without any problems.

Solution
You could try opening the Device Manager app and checking the Properties for the card. Check the Power Management tab and see if windows accidentally decided to check the box for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. This might have gotten checked during some windows update and needs to be unchecked again.
You could try opening the Device Manager app and checking the Properties for the card. Check the Power Management tab and see if windows accidentally decided to check the box for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. This might have gotten checked during some windows update and needs to be unchecked again.

Solution

Tekiya

Honorable
Aug 30, 2015

Yup, that did it. Wow, I had no idea Windows could do that, will keep that in mind for next time this happens. Thanks so much!!!

Yeah, that's an unfortunate aspect of having an operating system that can be installed on both battery powered laptops/surface devices as well as always fully powered desktop units. I've thought for a long time how during the windows install process there should be a question as to whether you want to install for a battery not fully powered device or for an always fully powered desktop device. At least if you go into the Control Panel Power Options and choose the High Performance mode, that should include disabling all power management shutdowns like that. But that would be too logical for microsoft programmers. They seem to prefer that we have to dig through the Device Manager and check every device manually, which can also be a chore for usb port powered devices.