Question Wi-Fi Connection vs Plug in

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
I bought a new townhouse that's a little bit smaller. I have tried some wifi options and it doesn't work. My TV keeps losing Wi-Fi Connection. So I would love to be able to plug in but My router is in the living room and My PC is great. We have a attic on top of the townhouse would it be better to run a cable thru the attic to plug in the router in the living room

USAFRet

Titan
I bought a new townhouse that's a little bit smaller. I have tried some wifi options and it doesn't work. My TV keeps losing Wi-Fi Connection. So I would love to be able to plug in but My router is in the living room and My PC is great. We have a attic on top of the townhouse would it be better to run a cable thru the attic to plug in the router in the living room
Moving this to Networking.

I am somewhat confused as to what you want to do. Are you asking if you can run a cable in attic between your router that is in the living room to some other room that has the tv.

I think that since it is fairly obvious that running a cable in the attic will work maybe you are asking something else.

Most the issue is crawling around in the nasty insulation and drilling the holes where you need them.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
I've just spent several days crawling around in my roof space shifting wads of fibre glass insulation and replacing cables. It is possible but a real pain if you want to hide Ethernet cables in cavity walls with no ducts.

You might find a better solution is to invest in an expensive Mesh WiFi system. Nowhere near as cheap as DIY cable laying, but so much easier if you buy the right kit.

Things to check out are composition of intervening walls/floors and distance between router and TV. WiFi hates travelling through thick granite walls and concrete floors. Read a few reviews.

DaleH

Notable
Mar 24, 2023
I've just spent several days crawling around in my roof space shifting wads of fibre glass insulation and replacing cables. It is possible but a real pain if you want to hide Ethernet cables in cavity walls with no ducts.

You might find a better solution is to invest in an expensive Mesh WiFi system. Nowhere near as cheap as DIY cable laying, but so much easier if you buy the right kit.

Things to check out are composition of intervening walls/floors and distance between router and TV. WiFi hates travelling through thick granite walls and concrete floors. Read a few reviews.
You might try ethernet over power. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV600-Powerline-WiFi-Extender/dp/B00HSQAIQU?th=1
I used this in my home with good results.