Question Wi-Fi continually disconnects and makes PC lag

Oct 27, 2021
My previous laptop after years stopped working and I ended up with my new current one, a Gateway 15.6" 13 8GB/256GB Notebook. I'm using Windows 11, though this also happened before updating from 10, and my driver, up to date, is Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9461. I've had a problem with the internet connection since the first day I used it, and it's only getting worse. The internet continually cuts out, especially if I move my mouse, or try to do anything really, and in turn causes my laptop to lag/freeze for several seconds and have screeching audio while doing so. (The freezing/lag/audio shrieks stop immediately if I turn the Wi-Fi off and start again when it's turned back on.) Even accessing this site was a nightmare to do because it took so long to load. If I'm streaming or calling on the PC, it constantly crashes or cuts out which is very frustrating as my friends struggle to understand me and me them. Watching a show on a streaming service is a nightmare with the constant disconnecting and loading. It takes an hour to download, say, even a small 38mb file because it keeps freezing and struggling the whole time after 1mb of downloading. Uploading isn't any better when it keeps disconnecting. Once so far the computer has even stopped recognizing any network drivers are installed and wouldn't let me access them (without my changing or doing anything) until I restarted. I've reinstalled my drivers as instructed, everything is up to date, I've checked all the settings to ensure they're what they're supposed to be, and I know it's not a problem with my actual internet because it's fine on my phone, TV and other laptops in the house with no issues for them while this is happening, just this one laptop. It also never happened on my previous laptop. Not the place, but the computer also forgot audio drivers were installed like with the network drivers once and wouldn't let me access those either, and a few times stopped letting me play audio at all if there wasn't constant audio playing. It's very clear there's a problem here with something and not a simple fix like "your internet is the problem" or "update your drivers" like other threads suggest when I tried using help suggestions in those. But because none of the suggestions in those other threads or any websites have helped, I'm kind of at a loss at what to try now. It's become such a problem that it's ruining my daily life. My work can't even function. Anything that might help my actual problem, whatever it might end up being, would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance for even reading. Specs in case:
  • My PC is a Gateway 15.6" 13 8GB/256GB Notebook
  • My ARRIS modem/router lists Model as DG2470A and P/N as DG00DLQ2470
  • My motherboard make/model is only listed as GPU Company, my Wi-Fi adapter seems to be Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9461, and my operating system is the most recent update of Windows 11 21H2 (same issues were with Windows 10 before.)
  • My ISP is Grande Communications Networks, LLC with a cable internet connection
  • The amount of devices connected to and using internet is usually 2-3 at most, the laptop I use, my phone, and my TV. But rarely are all three going and on at once.
I hope I didn't leave anything important from that out or list something wrong. I'm completely lost at figuring out what most of this means. Understanding computer terms or what to do where is kind of difficult.

Oct 27, 2021
try using the 5 Ghz band instead of 2.4 , wifi might be too busy in your area like a student dorm or something .
I tried this exactly before in other attempts to fix it and it never worked, even made it worse once, but it seems to have worked this time for some reason. At least for now. Doesn't explain the other similar oddities going on like with the audio driver issues, but hopefully it lasts this go round. Thanks!

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
I tried this exactly before in other attempts to fix it and it never worked, even made it worse once, but it seems to have worked this time for some reason. At least for now. Doesn't explain the other similar oddities going on like with the audio driver issues, but hopefully it lasts this go round. Thanks!
Do you happen to live in a place with crowded wifi ?
that might be the reason
also try using a wifi 6 access point , with triple Band support .