[SOLVED] Wi-Fi disables during sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr0ubl3mak3r

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
Hello everyone, I have a question. So, my laptop disconnects from Wi-Fi during sleep. which in turn disconnects the VPN. On another computer that I don't have access to, however, it doesn't disconnect. I tried to find something on the Web, but with no luck so far. So this forum is probably my last hope.

So, here's the list of what I tried:
  1. Run powercfg -a to display which S states are enabled, and it says only S3 is supported. Like, Standby (S3), Hibernate, Hybrid Sleep, and Fast Startup. That is, S1, S2, and S0 low power are not supported by firmware. (Command prompt says for them: "This system firmware does not support this standby state."
  2. Disable Bluetooth. Some website recommended to disable it and see if it works.
  3. Open Device Management and uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for both Ethernet and Wi-Fi
  4. Set the Power Saving mode in Wireless Adapter Settings to Maximum Performance in "Change advanced power settings" in Control Panel -> Power options.

But nothing seems to help so far. What else am I missing?

P.S. Sorry if it's in the wrong section. I thought it suits this thread the best.

Solution
Keeping a VPN running is far different than just a wifi port. Both the wifi and the vpn use encrypted data sessions. They must send data back and forth a fairly regular intervals so everything continues to work. Since the wifi function is inside the radio chips it can function on its own. Now some systems can allow the wifi chip to stay powered when they rest of the machine is down but it is something your machine has or does not it tends to be a bios function.

The vpn uses your CPU and the memory to do the encryption. If you put it in most sleep modes the cpu is stopped. Even if the wifi stays up when the cpu wakes up all the vpn session data is invalid and it will terminate it. The CPU must send data every certain...

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"On another computer that I don't have access to, however, it doesn't disconnect."

Who has access to that computer? Have that person help you compare wireless network configuration settings.

What make and model router do you have?

The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue about the disconnects.

Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

RealBeast

Titan
Unless you leave it unplugged and on for very long periods for some reason, I would disable sleep and use a blank screen saver. You can also set it to power down the HDD if you don't have an SSD and power down the screen after some interval (say 15-20 minutes) to save a little additional power.

tr0ubl3mak3r

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
If I can set my computer NOT to disconnect from VPN when my computer is in sleep mode, that would work for me... The only issue that I see here is that it when I wake it from sleep, I have enough time to see that it disconnected from Wi-Fi, and as such, from VPN. So if it can somehow stay connected to VPN, whether it's connected to Wi-Fi or not, it works for me.... How absurd it didn't sound.

If it can be set up, please tell me how. If nobody knows how to do it, @RealBeast please close this thread.

Keeping a VPN running is far different than just a wifi port. Both the wifi and the vpn use encrypted data sessions. They must send data back and forth a fairly regular intervals so everything continues to work. Since the wifi function is inside the radio chips it can function on its own. Now some systems can allow the wifi chip to stay powered when they rest of the machine is down but it is something your machine has or does not it tends to be a bios function.

The vpn uses your CPU and the memory to do the encryption. If you put it in most sleep modes the cpu is stopped. Even if the wifi stays up when the cpu wakes up all the vpn session data is invalid and it will terminate it. The CPU must send data every certain period of time..likely not more than a couple seconds at most. The far end will terminate the vpn if it does not see these messages

You only option likely is to use one the power save options that slows the clock on the cpu rather than it turning it off.

Not real sure why you want to do this. You should be able to configure the wifi and the VPN to reconnect as soon as the machine boots even from a complete shutdown.

Solution

tr0ubl3mak3r

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
OK, so, I figured it out. The laptop that had the VPN on at all times had never been actually put to sleep. That's how it stayed connected at all times. As such, this thread can be deleted. Thanks everybody.

Reactions: lvt
Status
Not open for further replies.