Wi-Fi Extender Not Helping, Any Tips?

Zamurai

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Okay so I will just explain my situation. I've recently moved into a new flat, I have Virgin Internet running at 90 MB/s in the living room, where the router is located. The connection drops to like 50% signal pretty much as soon as you walk out the living room, and at the other end of the flat where my computer room is going to be, there is no internet at all (in the room I need it the most).

I bought a Wi-Fi Extender (TP Link N300 / TL-WA850RE) and it works for the most part in the hallways (although it only runs at a pathetic 1MB/s although it advertises up to 300mbs) HOWEVER it still does not work in the room I need it in, and the Wi-Fi extender is plugged in literally right outside my computer room (its actually plugged into the other side of my wall to the room). Is there any way I can get wi-fi to my computer room without it running at about 0.2 Mb/s?

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
1Mbps sounds like a hardware conflict. I had this between a TPLink extender and a Netgear router a few years ago. When I substituted a different router, the extender suddenly connected at 300Mbps and stayed that way.

I have also had TPLink extenders "jammed" by a faulty IOS Air update; so if you have an IOS device, trying switching it off and see if the extender springs into life.