Question Wi-Fi extremely slow but only on one device

Jul 16, 2019
Hi, I've been having this problem for a couple of days now. My internet is extremely slow but only on my HP Laptop, and I've tried everything to attempt to fix my problem but I haven't encountered a situation like I have. There was a Windows update before my Wi-Fi started to act really weird, but I don't know if that's the cause. I already contacted my ISP, and the modem is working fine so I assume it was it's the Wi-Fi router, but I am not sure, because the router is working for everyone else. Do I need a new router or is there a way to fix this via my PC. Thanks.

Go to the HP website, find your product and see if there is a wifi driver available for your PC.

What laptop is this exactly? I'm asking because although I don't know about HP, some Dells have extremely slow wifi due to poor drivers and run better with just the default windows driver.

Try disabling the adapter in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings. Right click your adapter and disable. Then remove it from the Device Manager (don't delete the driver). Then reboot and reconnect after it reloads the adapter.

If that doesn't work go into your adapter's Properties. Same area for Change Adapter Settings. Right click and choose properties. Double click on Internet Protocol Version 4. Try setting a manual DNS server. I like Google. Primary 8.8.8.8; Secondary 8.8.4.4

Jul 16, 2019
Go to the HP website, find your product and see if there is a wifi driver available for your PC.

What laptop is this exactly? I'm asking because although I don't know about HP, some Dells have extremely slow wifi due to poor drivers and run better with just the default windows driver.
All of my WiFi drivers are up to date, my laptop model is a "HP Laptop 15-bs0xx"

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Just a shot in the dark but, is the router a dual channel router, broadcasting 2.4 and 5.0 at the same time? I have seen this before where a router was causing lag and random drops, and it stopped when one of the channels was disabled. I'm not certain why but I would guess it may have been because the device kept switching which channel it was connecting to the router on.

Jul 16, 2019
Try disabling the adapter in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings. Right click your adapter and disable. Then remove it from the Device Manager (don't delete the driver). Then reboot and reconnect after it reloads the adapter.

If that doesn't work go into your adapter's Properties. Same area for Change Adapter Settings. Right click and choose properties. Double click on Internet Protocol Version 4. Try setting a manual DNS server. I like Google. Primary 8.8.8.8; Secondary 8.8.4.4
I tried both methods but both of them appeared to have not worked in fixing the WiFI

Jul 16, 2019
Just a shot in the dark but, is the router a dual channel router, broadcasting 2.4 and 5.0 at the same time? I have seen this before where a router was causing lag and random drops, and it stopped when one of the channels was disabled. I'm not certain why but I would guess it may have been because the device kept switching which channel it was connecting to the router on.
I do believe it's a dual channel router, but wouldn't it effect all of the other devices?

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
I do believe it's a dual channel router, but wouldn't it effect all of the other devices?
You would think so, but in the scenario I recall, only the downstairs computer was affected. The upstairs smart tv, gaming consoles, and smart phones didn't seem to be impacted at all. If you've run out of other things to try I would say it's worth a shot, turn off the slower channel/band. I believe you can also set the other band to broadcast on a different SSID, giving people a choice of which band they connect to instead of disabling it, but in our case we just turned it off and the problem went away. Good luck!

Jul 17, 2019
I have a Dell and am having the same problem. No other computers are affected but my wireless has slowed down drastically. I replaced the wifi card but the results are the same. I can sit right beside the modem and still receive an extremely low result. I have the most current drivers. My Dell is a Inspiron 15 model 5558.