Question Wi-fi Help please.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hello everyone!,
My ISP just "upgraded". Instead of using an all in one modem/wi-fi router. They've changed it to 2 separate units. How that's upgrading I have no clue. I live in a one story Block home and have always had some issues with slow or dead spot wi-fi. I've tried a wi-fi extender which didn't seem to help much. But now that they've switched to separate modem and routers it's even worse. Not necessarily the dead spots but my wi-fi goes out every few days and now I have to reboot both the modem and wireless router constantly.
I'm thinking maybe I should just get my own wireless router instead of renting theirs. Can you guys give me some advise on how to get my wi-fi working good throughout my entire house?
Maybe you could recommend a good wireless router that would do the trick without breaking the bank? I was looking at this one but I dunno.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...935-20&ascsubtag=00cH8IQdtCh4RBc44aXmUoc&th=1

Thanks Everyone!

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
You will get quite a few opinions on wireless router brands but I can say I am using a Netgear CM1000 modem and a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router and I get complete coverage even when I was living in a 3 story home with the router on the 3rd floor and the PC on the 1st floor. I would ditch the provider supplied equipment. Just be aware their techs will tell you it is your equipment if you ever have a problem. They tried to tell me my wireless router was bad when I moved in to my current residence. I had a brand new spare in my closet and the guy looked pissed when I took it out and said lets try this one. LOL.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I don't think you can get rid of their modem can you??
As far as I know you just call your ISP and have them activate their service through YOUR modem. I haven't paid for a modem/router rental through an ISP for the last 6 or 7 years and I've had multiple different ISP's in that time. Also, having your own modem allows you exclusive control over the settings.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Okay so I got the Netgear Router, but I've still got some low signal spots. The router is working SO much better than the piece of crap I had from my ISP. So my next question is. Can I just hardwire a couple wifi extenders into this new router? I got the NETGEAR Nighthawk R7350 AC2400 Router btw. Not quite the awesome one recommended but it works. I just don't have the bars I wish I had all over the house. So can I just plugin a couple wifi extenders into the new router and place them in different rooms? If so which ones should I get? I've tried some regular wifi extenders that are not hardwired. They don't do it.

Thanks again Everyone!
You guys Rock!