WI-FI Home to farm link

David3pvr

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
UK. Home to farm WiFi link using TP LINKS cpe 210. Home unit set as AP, Farm to set as client. Distance 1.5 km

How can I check that the farm cpe 210 is getting a signal from my home AP

kanewolf

Titan
Is there a line of sight between the two units?

Start by setting up the farm unit in the yard of the home. Get all the configuration bugs worked out with 10 m between the units. When everything is working great, then move the farm unit to the final location.

I have not used these units but most outdoor bridge devices have leds that will give you the signal levels to help you align them without a PC. They should also have a screen that shows you the signal levels and connection speeds but you will need to connect a pc to the unit to see that.

David3pvr

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

David3pvr

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

David3pvr

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Thank you for your prompt reply.
The siting of the units 10 m apart in order to set up, I did at first and all looked ok so I mounted the cpe' s on their respective
masts.
However, my client unit at the farm only showed one green led so I removed it from the mast and brought it home.
The problem in setting up again is that the AP is mounted on a mast on the house roof and is not easy to remove. The AP direction is not over our property so I can't get the Client to physically see the AP.

I am thinking of increasing the AP output to maximum so that the Client may make radio contact to recheck everything.
What do you think?

I do have line of site home to farm but I'm not so sure of Frenzell zone clearance as the signal passes over housing/ properties.
The AP at home is about 7 metres and the farm unit 8 metres

I would welcome your comments/ help please. Regards. D

David3pvr

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

David3pvr

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Thank you for your prompt reply.
The siting of the units 10 m apart in order to set up, I did at first and all looked ok so I mounted the cpe' s on their respective
masts.
However, my client unit at the farm only showed one green led so I removed it from the mast and brought it home.
The problem in setting up again is that the AP is mounted on a mast on the house roof and is not easy to remove. The AP direction is not over our property so I can't get the Client to physically see the AP.

I am thinking of increasing the AP output to maximum so that the Client may make radio contact to recheck everything.
What do you think?

I do have line of site home to farm but I'm not so sure of Frenzell zone clearance as the signal passes over housing/ properties.
The AP at home is about 7 metres and the farm unit 8 metres

I would welcome your comments/ help please. Regards. D

kanewolf

Titan
You could always put the farm unit on a temporary pole. I would believe that the farm unit in the yard would see and communicate with the home unit. There may be a problem with the home unit. What do the admin screens for the home unit tell you about it's status ?

David3pvr

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

Thanks for your interest. Status page shows ;
CPU 0%
MEMORY 53%
TRANSMIT POWER 11dBm( 20km )
SIGNAL STRENGTH N/A
NOISE STRENGTH N/A
SNR N/A
TRANSMIT CCQ 97
AP ENABLED
SSID AlphaBravo
CONNECTED STATIONS 3

CLIENT DISABLED
Port 100Mbps

I have never used Tom's hardware before and don't know if I could send you screenshots.
The other thing I would mention is that I am not WiFi/IP Literate ( the items I have quoted re' stratus probably tell you that )
I am a senior Engineer in Electricity supply but that doesn't help me with this project, but I like challenge! Regards D

David3pvr

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
CPU 0%
MEMORY 53%
SIGNAL STRENGTH N/A
NOISE STRENGTH N/A
SNR N/A
TRANSMIT CCQ 97
AP ENABLED
SSID AlphaBravo
CONNECTED STATIONS 3

CLIENT DISABLED
Port 100Mbps

I have never used Tom's hardware before and don't know if I could send you screenshots.
The other thing I would mention is that I am not WiFi/IP Literate ( the items I have quoted re' stratus probably tell you that )
I am a senior Engineer in Electricity supply but that doesn't help me with this project, but I like challenge! Regards D

David3pvr

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I won't bother you again this Evening but but I have just noticed that my iPhone has selected my TP link (SSID AlphaBravo ) for its WiFi signal. Regards D

David3pvr

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

David3pvr

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
CPU 0%
MEMORY 53%
SIGNAL STRENGTH N/A
NOISE STRENGTH N/A
SNR N/A
TRANSMIT CCQ 97
AP ENABLED
SSID AlphaBravo
CONNECTED STATIONS 3

CLIENT DISABLED
Port 100Mbps