Wi-Fi signal help?

sharingan5

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2013
I have a D-Link DSL 2730U Modem cum Router. Recently it has been giving me a lot of trouble, with constant disconnects and restarts(few times a day). Also the second PC in the adjacent room(seperated by a brick/concrete wall) isn't getting a good signal anymore.
There is maybe one more wireless network in that range, so I don't think that channels are a problem.

Can anyone suggest what should be done in this case? A new router? If so then which one?

Or is it a problem on the receiving end?
I have a D-Link USB Adapter connected on the other end. http://www.dlink.co.in/products/?pid=637

A point I have noted is that my iPad has no problems connecting to the net in that room, but it could be that it has a better inbuilt adapter and more range.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Take a smartphone or tablet and install Wifi Analyzer on it. Once installed you will be able to see your router and it will give you a signal strength meter. You can set it where you're having trouble picking up the signal, then try moving the antennae around on the modem/router. It sounds silly, but the orientation of the antennae can make a big difference.

Have you recently moved furniture? Purchased a new wireless phone, or even moved it. Baby monitors...anything along those lines.

OriginalCadaver

Reputable
May 24, 2014
Take a smartphone or tablet and install Wifi Analyzer on it. Once installed you will be able to see your router and it will give you a signal strength meter. You can set it where you're having trouble picking up the signal, then try moving the antennae around on the modem/router. It sounds silly, but the orientation of the antennae can make a big difference.

Have you recently moved furniture? Purchased a new wireless phone, or even moved it. Baby monitors...anything along those lines.

Solution

sharingan5

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2013

No furniture movement, not any significant one anyways. No wireless phones, or anything wireless. I tried the antenna thing, but did not see any improvement on the signal on WiFi Analyzer. It was at the end of the yellow range/start of the green all along.