Wi-Fi to garage and access point configuration trouble

Feb 17, 2018
Ok... I've read through this site over and over again.. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong.

My aim is to get internet to my garage 500m from my house which is on a different electrical circuit to the house (therefore the obvious plug in adaptors and bridges sadly don't work) I want the printers in the garage to be useable from the house and the network to be continuous from house to garage if poss.

I have just bought a fancy new tplink router to replace my bt home hub which is working fine.

Currently I have the tp link router set up to ssid (housewifi) password let's suppose it's (password) which is supplying the house with wifi.

From the tplink I have run an Ethernet cable to a through the mains router sending it upstairs to a wag102 which is set up as an access point with an enhanced ariel. The access point I have set to the same ssid and password with an ip address of let's say 192.168.0.278.

In the garage I have a second wag102 again on the same ssid and password but on have used say 192.168.0.279 set up as multi point to accesspoint setting.

It all connects nicely, in the house the wifi switches seamlessly, but in the garage although it connects, there is no internet access.....

Is there anything glaring wrong with what I've done?

Solution
Generally you want the wireless link to be transparent. So you want a single DHCP server on your primary router. You want the "house" unit setup as a WIFI access point broadcasting the single subnet created by your primary router. You want the "garage" unit setup as a WIFI bridge to capture the "house" WIFI and provide it to the local hosts.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

I'm assuming those IP addresses are examples only, since 278 and 279 are not valid octets (max usable is 254).

Also, it seems you should be running in point-to-point mode, not point-to-multipoint.

Have you followed the instructions on pg 4-5 of the user manual?

Feb 17, 2018
Yes those were examples, but I am a novice and wasn't aware that 254 was the maximum.

Am I right in saying that although dchp is switched on with the house router I'm ok to put static ips on both ends of my bridge with consecutive addresses but the same channel ?

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Static IPs for the bridge devices are fine, just make sure they do not conflict with the DHCP range of the TPLlink. I believe most TPLinks have a default DHCP range of x.x.x.100 to 199, so any address outside of this range should be fine.

kanewolf

Titan
You didn't list that you had point-to-point wireless hardware setup in your original post. WAG102s are not directional WIFI devices. They are generic WIFI access points. You may be trying to do the "same thing" but you are not using the correct hardware IMO.

Feb 17, 2018

Thanks, good tip.

So just to clarify.. .
I'm ok to have dhcp switched on with my tplink home wifi router

I'm ok to assign static ip addresses to both wireless wag102 boxes although they should be set to be consecutive numbers outside of the range of the tplink.

The channels are relatively unimportant although it's useful to set them so that there is a gap of 6 between them so they don't interfere with each other (even the two wag102s)

If I set the ssids and passwords to be the same the network becomes almost continous.

Are there any settings I am missing ?

Can someone describe how I should set subnet mask and gateway ip please.....

I'm sure I'm just missing a simple detail now

All the best
Chris

kanewolf

Titan
Generally you want the wireless link to be transparent. So you want a single DHCP server on your primary router. You want the "house" unit setup as a WIFI access point broadcasting the single subnet created by your primary router. You want the "garage" unit setup as a WIFI bridge to capture the "house" WIFI and provide it to the local hosts.

Solution