Wich card to max bf3 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rickbmb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Current system:
955be
4gibs ram
ati 5850
22" screen

I think I may not be able to max out bf3, would I see a big difference with a new video card ?
I m not ruling out a second 5850 to crossfire but i would prefer a single card solution.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, that's why I regret buying it...... But its still not a bad gaming cpu! It does everything i need it to do and more.

You don't understand me, when i do this, and leave it open... then switch from the game to the task mgr, this doesn't show the real usage... you must be doing activities in the game at the same time monitor the CPU usage.

This won't help if you want to precisely determine the CPU usage. and be noted that it differs originally from each location you move in the game.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
First of all, the Battlefield 3 beta was a BETA. A BETA people, not the final release. I'm sure it wasn't optimized as far as it could be. The Phenom IIs are still strong processors as well, unless your running the game on your Grandma's 13" CRT monitor and are getting a CPU bottleneck due to the low resolution. If those crappy consoles can play Battlefield 3, I'm sure a Phenom II will have no problems. Rickbmb, I would add another 5850 to your system or I would wait and get a 7870 or something like that. I definitely wouldn't upgrade after just a generation. Frankly, unless your running at a 1080p resolution I don't really see a reason for you to upgrade at all unless you want AA and AF really bad.

@ Purple,To summarize and answer your question, several things can cause a high CPU usage:
1-No enough memory (CPU usage temporarily can move to 100% while waiting for free memory to continue processing)
2- Too many processes running at once
3- Various different driver problems
5. Slow internet connection (maybe)
And various other things like overheated CPU As it will get hotter and slow itself down so the usage will appear to rise.

redeemer

Distinguished

Dice would also like if you bought 100 copies of bf3 lol, dude i maxed it out with my 6970 1080p no probs. GTX 580 sli for multi-monitor at highest resolutions, even then you would be running around 40fps and under!

Well I was in the Alpha and the Beta and the usage was the same.I doubt that it will get better with drivers because it's the Frostbite engine that does it.Even when I played BFBC2 CPU usage was at 80%.Only with the Frostbite engine do I get such high usage because it's just how it is,very CPU demanding.And that is why I feel the Phenom ii's can barely manage it because i'm clocked at 3.8ghz and i'm still getting that much usage.

I have 8GB of RAM so it's not an issue(I never see my RAM usage go above 4GB).As I said before I have all of the irregular process's turned off from the Msconfig app,only the essentials.And my internet is T3.And although BF3 was the hottest I've ever seen my CPU under a gaming load it never went over 52c.

Anyway we've pretty much ruined the OP's thread so lets get back on topic even though were waiting for him to reply.

The Alpha and Beta had the settings toned down for testing.When they say a GTX580 SLI they probably mean in the full game.