Wich is the best upgrade for my rig if I am a web developer and a casual gamer?

javierbyte

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
I am a web developer/designer and a casual gamer. I use Photoshop, Illustrator, play Skyrim...

Specs:
Phenom II X4 3.2ghz x 4
Saphire Radeon 7770
8gb DDR3 1333mhz
Gigabyte M68MT-S2P mobo
2x320gb 7200rpm HDD
Edge 600w PSU

I was thinking about buy an 120gb SSD, or a new mobo and then the FX 8350, or a new mobo an then another 7770 (and if needed, a new PSU). What do you think?

Solution
For web development, well if you want to become anything and you do designing yourself.

A 256gb SSD is recommended atleast and another one 128gb would be optimal for the OS. The 256gb is where your programs will live and your scratchdisk area will be. I use 30gb scratchdisk on average and bring my 16gb of ram to its knee's constantly.

Remember that a customer can ask you to make a video as well, at some point some after effects skills will be needed, if you will skip that part your easily looking at a 1500 euro project misser.
You can go with an ati radeon GPU if you will not use ray tracing, i dont really use it and besides, for compiling programs i noticed that the radeon can have an edge in certain situations.

Depends on program...

DragonChase

Honorable
May 22, 2013
For web development, well if you want to become anything and you do designing yourself.

A 256gb SSD is recommended atleast and another one 128gb would be optimal for the OS. The 256gb is where your programs will live and your scratchdisk area will be. I use 30gb scratchdisk on average and bring my 16gb of ram to its knee's constantly.

Remember that a customer can ask you to make a video as well, at some point some after effects skills will be needed, if you will skip that part your easily looking at a 1500 euro project misser.
You can go with an ati radeon GPU if you will not use ray tracing, i dont really use it and besides, for compiling programs i noticed that the radeon can have an edge in certain situations.

Depends on program and/or project you are working on, als your Ram is horrible.

The comfort zone of the FX 8350 (good pick btw) is memory running 1833mhz i believe out of the back of my head. For any designing you need faster RAM, 1333mhz is just horrible, atleast for me it is. Get the 1833mhz ram 16gb of it to be safe and be sure the CL is not "higher" then CL9, CL8 and CL7 would be a massive improvement at that speed compared to what you have.

In short, i know its hard to hear but the entire system is not optimized at all for client requests, you gotta offer the customer whatever you can, it is really important here to invest some good money into your system.

I started as a webdesign company as well, we are now a full fledged programmers heaven and only program. Our design compartment is next to non existent anymore, but i have great experience in the web area as i still do it here and there for the shear fun and sentiment.

Solution

javierbyte

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

Thank you DragonChase, but that solution sounds very expensive for me, if I have around $150USD to spend right now, and another $150USD in two months, what would be your choice?

DragonChase

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Order or effectiveness:
Processor > Ram > SSD!

Hope ive helped you sufficiantly, any other questions no problem!