Wich processor for new build (athlon vs i3)

mitchyDDD

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
Hi,
i'm going to build myself a new computer with the upcoming black Friday deals. I'm really between two CPU and i want to know witch one will give me the best performance for the money.
(p.s. i live in Canada)

the AMD Athlon x4 860k for 100$
or
Intel i3 4170 for 150$

My build will have a r9 270( that i already own) and 8g of ram.
I know the i3 is more powerful, but will it give me a noticeable performance increase for the extra 50$? And i want a quadcore soo no pentium. I'll use this pc for coding and gaming and i might use it with ubuntu or fedora in the future.
Please help me choose ! thanks

Depends on the game you play. If you will spend most of your time playing GTA V, Witcher 3, BF4 and other heavily-multithreaded games then heck you definitely need the 860K. If you stream, edit, render, the 860k's extra cores will trump i3's hyperthreading.

If you play single threaded games and don't do much multi-threaded work, i3 will be much better than 860k.

Good luck :)

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Lolwut? The i3 will wipe the floor with the 860K.

An 860K, even with OC, isn't as fast in raw performance as a Pentium OC'd.

The 860K, not even at 4.5 Ghz and with 2400 dual channel ram can't catch the i3 Haswell in performance.

If you can get the i3, get it.

yeah, but watch him try to record anything on Pentium or i3 or watch him pull that graphics settings up and you see the i3 and G3258 stuttering in GTA V and Witcher

Literally, who uses Athlons anymore. (Including Athlon XP+ 3800, Athlon II X2 235)

i3 sweeps the 860K, as Cryio said. There's 4 threads (read as 4 cores), and the lithography kills off 32 nm of the Bulldozer. Not to mention that the 32nm in the Bulldozer architecture does not have FinFET like Intel's 32nm does. Intel Core i3 is more efficient and powerful than the i3.

And by the way, it's 4 weak Bulldozer cores in the 860K. Don't expect anything from it.

mitchyDDD

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
The 860k is a Steamroller 28nm lithography core, not a 32nm like the FX serie. I try to look for some benchmark for the i3 on witcher 3. The i3 is appealing, less thermal output and more performance for 50$ more seam ok. Too bad the skylake motherboard are soo expensive in canada, the i3 skylake is not much more expensive and get something like 20% improvement from haswell.