Question Wich result from which Wattage calculator should I trust? new PSU

Feb 15, 2019

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Calculators aren't accurate .

A little extra power but a good PSU: A good 550w would be ideal.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ B&H)
Total: $49.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-30 11:18 EDT-0400

OR

If your on a stricter budget:

Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $42.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-30 11:19 EDT-0400

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 15, 2019
Neweggs 550W - 650W
Calculators aren't accurate .

A little extra power but a good PSU: A good 550w would be ideal.

Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ B&H)
Total: $49.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-30 11:18 EDT-0400

OR

If your on a stricter budget:

Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $42.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-30 11:19 EDT-0400

Any non modular one?
I have plenty of spaces and would like to have to use less money

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i add up the wattage myself.

cpu tdp + gpu tdp + about 100w for motherboard = basic idea for power needs. then add 25% to that and that's a pretty good idea what size psu you need as a minimum. anything bigger won't hurt at all. if you plan to OC, then do some homework and adjust the cpu and/or gpu tdp to what power draw was present when oc'ed.

Feb 15, 2019
i add up the wattage myself.

cpu tdp + gpu tdp + about 100w for motherboard = basic idea for power needs. then add 25% to that and that's a pretty good idea what size psu you need as a minimum. anything bigger won't hurt at all. if you plan to OC, then do some homework and adjust the cpu and/or gpu tdp to what power draw was present when oc'ed.
ryzen 7 1700 = 65W
gt 1050(current 1030 but plan of updating) = 75W
+ 100W
then add 25% and take it at around double(most PSU have thhe best efficiency at 50% if I'm right(I plan ro this ring to last me years so efficiency is important).

a psu for 550W and 600W for me is good,am I right?

I was looking at the whole season of "Monster Inside me" (pretty good),I was already feeling sick and trowing up the whole day because I'm sick then I saw your profile icon.
Oh man it didnt end well...

Thanks anyway

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ryzen 7 1700 = 65W
gt 1050(current 1030 but plan of updating) = 75W
+ 100W
then add 25% and take it at around double(most PSU have thhe best efficiency at 50% if I'm right(I plan ro this ring to last me years so efficiency is important).

a psu for 550W and 600W for me is good,am I right?

i'd add that up to about 350w psu needed minimum. but of course you're not gonna find one of those. normally about 500w+ is where good prices start. so any good unit at a good price over that is what i'd expect to end up with.

No, that Corsair VS series unit you linked to is NOT good. It's poor quality.

What country are you in and where can you order from. You've been given a few good suggestions here but I'm guessing they are all for a region you are not located in currently.

Honestly, any GOOD 450w unit is plenty for that GTX 1050, but if you plan to upgrade that card anytime within the next couple of years it would be a good idea to go with something a little bigger as DLOT suggested in the first reply here.

The TX550 you linked to however is good, and is a good option.

Feb 15, 2019
No, that Corsair VS series unit you linked to is NOT good. It's poor quality.

What country are you in and where can you order from. You've been given a few good suggestions here but I'm guessing they are all for a region you are not located in currently.

Honestly, any GOOD 450w unit is plenty for that GTX 1050, but if you plan to upgrade that card anytime within the next couple of years it would be a good idea to go with something a little bigger as DLOT suggested in the first reply here.

The TX550 you linked to however is good, and is a good option.
I aalso have a ryzen 7 1700 which has 85 requirment tho
ty

The 450w recommendation is for the WHOLE system, not just the graphics card.

This is pretty much the standard and as long as you are buying a quality built unit using a reputable platform, you really can't go wrong using the RealHardTechX recommendations. I actually sometimes add another 100w to that, just for some extra headroom and to accomodate future upgrades, but in the strictest sense these recommendations are spot on for the whole system, as is.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Reactions: TJ Hooker