Wich SATA-drivers should I use?

Hi all!

I just assembled my new 'puter with these pieces:
A8V MoBo
Athlon64 3000+
1G RAM
1SATA WD 200G HDD
Radeon 9200SE

It fires up fine, and I looked through the BIOS, but didn't dare change
much since it's an AMI-BIOS and I'm used to Award.

Now to my problem:
Windows XP-sp1 can't find the HardDrive.
I know I need to tell the install to use special drivers by pressing F6,
and supply the correct driver on a floppy.
But where on the CD do I find the right driver? I don't intend to run
any form of RAID.

TIA /Ola J

ender

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:25:56 GMT, Ola A Johansson <wheel1@telia.com>
wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>I just assembled my new 'puter with these pieces:
>A8V MoBo
>Athlon64 3000+
>1G RAM
>1SATA WD 200G HDD
>Radeon 9200SE
>
>It fires up fine, and I looked through the BIOS, but didn't dare change
>much since it's an AMI-BIOS and I'm used to Award.
>
>Now to my problem:
>Windows XP-sp1 can't find the HardDrive.
>I know I need to tell the install to use special drivers by pressing F6,
>and supply the correct driver on a floppy.
>But where on the CD do I find the right driver? I don't intend to run
>any form of RAID.
>
>TIA /Ola J

You would need the driver that matches the SATA controller chipset for
your motherboard. In this case, I believe you will have to make a
choice between the VIA and the Promise controller. Since you are not
going to create a RAID array, you would want to be sure the controller
you select supports a non-raid SATA setup. Your manual will help you
with that decision. According to one post I read you might try this:

"With the asus a8v, on the CD you go to the directory:

drivers/via raid/makedisk.exe.

It opens a utility that formats a 3.5" floppy drive with all the SATA/
raid drivers you need."

Again, I am uncertain whether the VIA controller supports a non-raid
SATA drive, but it sounds like that might handle it for you. I am
sure someone here can be more specific to the needs of your board if
that does not supply you with what you need.

Good luck!

Ender
____
[____]
(OIIIIIIO)
[] []

Hi Ender!

Ender wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:25:56 GMT, Ola A Johansson <wheel1@telia.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Hi all!
>>
>>I just assembled my new 'puter with these pieces:
>>A8V MoBo
>>Athlon64 3000+
>>1G RAM
>>1SATA WD 200G HDD
>>Radeon 9200SE

<snip>

>>where on the CD do I find the right driver? I don't intend to run
>>any form of RAID.
>>
>>TIA /Ola J

<snip>

> "With the asus a8v, on the CD you go to the directory:
>
> drivers/via raid/makedisk.exe.
>
> It opens a utility that formats a 3.5" floppy drive with all the SATA/
> raid drivers you need."
>
> Again, I am uncertain whether the VIA controller supports a non-raid
> SATA drive, but it sounds like that might handle it for you. I am
> sure someone here can be more specific to the needs of your board if
> that does not supply you with what you need.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Ender
> ____
> [____]
> (OIIIIIIO)
> [] []

I found it, and it did exactly what I wanted (so far at least).

Thanks for the tip /Ola J

Hi, you'd have found the answer by reading the manual, page 5.33....
Chris C

"Ender" <enderwiggin3rd@SBhotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> It opens a utility that formats a 3.5" floppy drive with all the SATA/
> raid drivers you need."

What do you do, if you haven't got a floppy drive? Can you copy it to a
CD-R?

let XP find it when you hit F6. It will look at you cd drive
"BorreBoy" <borreXXX@lucasfilm.dk> wrote in message

> "Ender" <enderwiggin3rd@SBhotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> > It opens a utility that formats a 3.5" floppy drive with all the SATA/
> > raid drivers you need."
>
> What do you do, if you haven't got a floppy drive? Can you copy it to a
> CD-R?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi, no....
Chris C

Chris Catt wrote:
> Hi, you'd have found the answer by reading the manual, page 5.33....
> Chris C

<snip> useful comments </snip>

Well, thank you very much for that bloody helpful comment...

That page only mentions RAID, and I don't intend to use my disk(s) in
that way.
The word SATA isn't even on that entire page, so I would've been just as
confused even if I'd found that.
Enders comment, along with bits and pieces from other threads here, is
what lead me to the knowledge that that makedisk utility should be used
to build your driver-floppy regerdless of how you intend to use your
SATA-disks.

HTH /Ola J

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The driver on the CD is old. You can get the latest 3.10E driver from the
VIA site.

It even has a folder with the contents needed explicitly for the Driver
floppy.

Don't get confused by VIA's use of the term 'raid'. Even if you are running
non-raid systems, you use the same driver.

-Larry

"Ender" <enderwiggin3rd@SBhotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:25:56 GMT, Ola A Johansson <wheel1@telia.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi all!
>>
>>I just assembled my new 'puter with these pieces:
>>A8V MoBo
>>Athlon64 3000+
>>1G RAM
>>1SATA WD 200G HDD
>>Radeon 9200SE
>>
>>It fires up fine, and I looked through the BIOS, but didn't dare change
>>much since it's an AMI-BIOS and I'm used to Award.
>>
>>Now to my problem:
>>Windows XP-sp1 can't find the HardDrive.
>>I know I need to tell the install to use special drivers by pressing F6,
>>and supply the correct driver on a floppy.
>>But where on the CD do I find the right driver? I don't intend to run
>>any form of RAID.
>>
>>TIA /Ola J
>
> You would need the driver that matches the SATA controller chipset for
> your motherboard. In this case, I believe you will have to make a
> choice between the VIA and the Promise controller. Since you are not
> going to create a RAID array, you would want to be sure the controller
> you select supports a non-raid SATA setup. Your manual will help you
> with that decision. According to one post I read you might try this:
>
> "With the asus a8v, on the CD you go to the directory:
>
> drivers/via raid/makedisk.exe.
>
> It opens a utility that formats a 3.5" floppy drive with all the SATA/
> raid drivers you need."
>
> Again, I am uncertain whether the VIA controller supports a non-raid
> SATA drive, but it sounds like that might handle it for you. I am
> sure someone here can be more specific to the needs of your board if
> that does not supply you with what you need.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Ender
> ____
> [____]
> (OIIIIIIO)
> [] []

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Use the same VIA driver. It's for single drives as well as raids. Get the
latest 3.10E from the VIA site. The ASUS CD is out of date.

-Larry

> Chris Catt wrote:
>> Hi, you'd have found the answer by reading the manual, page 5.33....
>> Chris C
>
> <snip> useful comments </snip>
>
> Well, thank you very much for that bloody helpful comment...
>
> That page only mentions RAID, and I don't intend to use my disk(s) in that
> way.
> The word SATA isn't even on that entire page, so I would've been just as
> confused even if I'd found that.
> Enders comment, along with bits and pieces from other threads here, is
> what lead me to the knowledge that that makedisk utility should be used to
> build your driver-floppy regerdless of how you intend to use your
> SATA-disks.
>
> HTH /Ola J

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Not in this position, but I've often wondered the same thing :)

I know how to slipstream service packs into XP, but is there a way to
slipstream these drivers in as well so it just 'uses' them ?

-Larry

"BorreBoy" <borreXXX@lucasfilm.dk> wrote in message

> What do you do, if you haven't got a floppy drive? Can you copy it to a
> CD-R?

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Are you sure? I believe the "F6" function only looks at floppies.

-Larry

"notritenoteri" <coldasfire@hades.com> wrote in message
> let XP find it when you hit F6. It will look at you cd drive
> "BorreBoy" <borreXXX@lucasfilm.dk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ender" <enderwiggin3rd@SBhotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>> > It opens a utility that formats a 3.5" floppy drive with all the SATA/
>> > raid drivers you need."
>>
>> What do you do, if you haven't got a floppy drive? Can you copy it to a
>> CD-R?

I have read elsewhere that it cannot be done. MS, it stated, wants to make
sure no drivers it has not approved will get installed by default.

I have done it successfully with Norton Ghost 9 which boots under NT.

"Larry" <none@none.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
Kh8zd.10131$jn.8719@lakeread06...
> Not in this position, but I've often wondered the same thing :)
>
> I know how to slipstream service packs into XP, but is there a way to
> slipstream these drivers in as well so it just 'uses' them ?

Paul

Splendid

You dont need/have to install any drivers for SATA, if
you're not using RAID.

I use one SATA as master, with XP, no prob at all.

Just use the cd as normal to boot from, and if the SATA hdd
is plugged in properly and set as primary master, it'll install
XP etc on it. It may still pay to install SP1/2 after tho.

You only need drivers if u set RAID up in the BIOS, and if
u actually use RAID.

"Ola A Johansson" <wheel1@telia.com> wrote in message
> Chris Catt wrote:
>> Hi, you'd have found the answer by reading the manual, page 5.33....
>> Chris C
>
> <snip> useful comments </snip>
>
> Well, thank you very much for that bloody helpful comment...
>
> That page only mentions RAID, and I don't intend to use my disk(s) in that
> way.
> The word SATA isn't even on that entire page, so I would've been just as
> confused even if I'd found that.
> Enders comment, along with bits and pieces from other threads here, is
> what lead me to the knowledge that that makedisk utility should be used to
> build your driver-floppy regerdless of how you intend to use your
> SATA-disks.
>
> HTH /Ola J

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Not on my system it doesn't (A8V), and I just built THREE XP boots on the
system so I had a lot of practice.

The WinXP (Even slipstreamed with XP SP2) does not have drivers for the VIA
Sata Controllers. It will find no drives attached unless you use F6 and
provide the driver floppy.

-Larry

"Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> wrote in message
> You dont need/have to install any drivers for SATA, if
> you're not using RAID.
>
> I use one SATA as master, with XP, no prob at all.
>
> Just use the cd as normal to boot from, and if the SATA hdd
> is plugged in properly and set as primary master, it'll install
> XP etc on it. It may still pay to install SP1/2 after tho.
>
> You only need drivers if u set RAID up in the BIOS, and if
> u actually use RAID.
>

> "Ola A Johansson" <wheel1@telia.com> wrote in message
>> Chris Catt wrote:
>>> Hi, you'd have found the answer by reading the manual, page 5.33....
>>> Chris C
>>
>> <snip> useful comments </snip>
>>
>> Well, thank you very much for that bloody helpful comment...
>>
>> That page only mentions RAID, and I don't intend to use my disk(s) in
>> that way.
>> The word SATA isn't even on that entire page, so I would've been just as
>> confused even if I'd found that.
>> Enders comment, along with bits and pieces from other threads here, is
>> what lead me to the knowledge that that makedisk utility should be used
>> to build your driver-floppy regerdless of how you intend to use your
>> SATA-disks.
>>
>> HTH /Ola J

I think you are too affirmative.
Depends on which board.

"Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
cqtd1o$k03$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> You dont need/have to install any drivers for SATA, if
> you're not using RAID.
>
> I use one SATA as master, with XP, no prob at all.
>
> Just use the cd as normal to boot from, and if the SATA hdd
> is plugged in properly and set as primary master, it'll install
> XP etc on it. It may still pay to install SP1/2 after tho.
>
> You only need drivers if u set RAID up in the BIOS, and if
> u actually use RAID.
>

> "Ola A Johansson" <wheel1@telia.com> wrote in message
>> Chris Catt wrote:
>>> Hi, you'd have found the answer by reading the manual, page 5.33....
>>> Chris C
>>
>> <snip> useful comments </snip>
>>
>> Well, thank you very much for that bloody helpful comment...
>>
>> That page only mentions RAID, and I don't intend to use my disk(s) in
>> that way.
>> The word SATA isn't even on that entire page, so I would've been just as
>> confused even if I'd found that.
>> Enders comment, along with bits and pieces from other threads here, is
>> what lead me to the knowledge that that makedisk utility should be used
>> to build your driver-floppy regerdless of how you intend to use your
>> SATA-disks.
>>
>> HTH /Ola J

Paul

Splendid

If u want RAID then the mobo CD has a program on it
called makedisk.exe. (the name maybe different for different brands
of mobo).

U haveta run this and it'll create RAID drivers for RAID. (U need a floppy).

Then boot from cd install XP press F6, before the XP install/setup screen,
and chuck the floppy in.

BUT if u dont want RAID, then you dont need the drivers.

XP will install on a SATA no prob at all.

"Larry" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Not on my system it doesn't (A8V), and I just built THREE XP boots on the
> system so I had a lot of practice.
>
> The WinXP (Even slipstreamed with XP SP2) does not have drivers for the
> VIA Sata Controllers. It will find no drives attached unless you use F6
> and provide the driver floppy.
>
> -Larry
>
> "Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> wrote in message
>> You dont need/have to install any drivers for SATA, if
>> you're not using RAID.
>>
>> I use one SATA as master, with XP, no prob at all.
>>
>> Just use the cd as normal to boot from, and if the SATA hdd
>> is plugged in properly and set as primary master, it'll install
>> XP etc on it. It may still pay to install SP1/2 after tho.
>>
>> You only need drivers if u set RAID up in the BIOS, and if
>> u actually use RAID.
>>

>> "Ola A Johansson" <wheel1@telia.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> <snip> useful comments </snip>
>>>
>>> Well, thank you very much for that bloody helpful comment...
>>>
>>> That page only mentions RAID, and I don't intend to use my disk(s) in
>>> that way.
>>> The word SATA isn't even on that entire page, so I would've been just as
>>> confused even if I'd found that.
>>> Enders comment, along with bits and pieces from other threads here, is
>>> what lead me to the knowledge that that makedisk utility should be used
>>> to build your driver-floppy regerdless of how you intend to use your
>>> SATA-disks.
>>>
>>> HTH /Ola J

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

As I said below, on MY A8V (BIOS 1008), XP (Original, SP1 slipstreamed or
SP2 Slipstreamed) will not see the VIA SATA conroller, period. I must F6
and provide the driver disk. It always displays the "No suitable hard
drives can be found" or whatever that says screen.

Not sure what might be different.

> If u want RAID then the mobo CD has a program on it
> called makedisk.exe. (the name maybe different for different brands
> of mobo).
>
> U haveta run this and it'll create RAID drivers for RAID. (U need a
> floppy).
>
> Then boot from cd install XP press F6, before the XP install/setup screen,
> and chuck the floppy in.
>
> BUT if u dont want RAID, then you dont need the drivers.
>
> XP will install on a SATA no prob at all.
>
> "Larry" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> Not on my system it doesn't (A8V), and I just built THREE XP boots on the
>> system so I had a lot of practice.
>>
>> The WinXP (Even slipstreamed with XP SP2) does not have drivers for the
>> VIA Sata Controllers. It will find no drives attached unless you use F6
>> and provide the driver floppy.
>>
>> -Larry
>>
>> "Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> wrote in message
>>> You dont need/have to install any drivers for SATA, if
>>> you're not using RAID.
>>>
>>> I use one SATA as master, with XP, no prob at all.
>>>
>>> Just use the cd as normal to boot from, and if the SATA hdd
>>> is plugged in properly and set as primary master, it'll install
>>> XP etc on it. It may still pay to install SP1/2 after tho.
>>>
>>> You only need drivers if u set RAID up in the BIOS, and if
>>> u actually use RAID.
>>>

>>> "Ola A Johansson" <wheel1@telia.com> wrote in message

Paul

Splendid

Well could be but ASUS mobos i would say as Ive
already said u DONT need drivers for SATA if you're
not going to use RAID. (on XP).

"FG" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
>I think you are too affirmative.
> Depends on which board.
>
> "Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> cqtd1o$k03$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>> You dont need/have to install any drivers for SATA, if
>> you're not using RAID.
>>
>> I use one SATA as master, with XP, no prob at all.
>>
>> Just use the cd as normal to boot from, and if the SATA hdd
>> is plugged in properly and set as primary master, it'll install
>> XP etc on it. It may still pay to install SP1/2 after tho.
>>
>> You only need drivers if u set RAID up in the BIOS, and if
>> u actually use RAID.
>>

>> "Ola A Johansson" <wheel1@telia.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> <snip> useful comments </snip>
>>>
>>> Well, thank you very much for that bloody helpful comment...
>>>
>>> That page only mentions RAID, and I don't intend to use my disk(s) in
>>> that way.
>>> The word SATA isn't even on that entire page, so I would've been just as
>>> confused even if I'd found that.
>>> Enders comment, along with bits and pieces from other threads here, is
>>> what lead me to the knowledge that that makedisk utility should be used
>>> to build your driver-floppy regerdless of how you intend to use your
>>> SATA-disks.
>>>
>>> HTH /Ola J

Well, I have an ASUS motherboard, and there is
no way to have it recognized by WinXp's installation
CD, nor by Ghost 9 bootable CD.
Whatever you say.

Once Windows has been installed and after I choose
SCSI(SATA) as the bootable HD, of course I no
longer need to insert a diskette.

And I DO NOT use RAID.

"Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
cqvm6v$b3b$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Well could be but ASUS mobos i would say as Ive
> already said u DONT need drivers for SATA if you're
> not going to use RAID. (on XP).
>

> "FG" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
>>I think you are too affirmative.
>> Depends on which board.
>>
>> "Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> cqtd1o$k03$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>> You dont need/have to install any drivers for SATA, if
>>> you're not using RAID.
>>>
>>> I use one SATA as master, with XP, no prob at all.
>>>
>>> Just use the cd as normal to boot from, and if the SATA hdd
>>> is plugged in properly and set as primary master, it'll install
>>> XP etc on it. It may still pay to install SP1/2 after tho.
>>>
>>> You only need drivers if u set RAID up in the BIOS, and if
>>> u actually use RAID.
>>>

>>> "Ola A Johansson" <wheel1@telia.com> wrote in message

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just installed XP onto a sata hd hooked as the primary master on a
ASRock P4V88 motherboard (VIA controller). I tried to install XP without
the special drivers and it wouldn't happen. Using the sata drivers on a
floppy I installed XP very nicely. So it probably depends on the
motherboard.

Paul wrote:
> Well could be but ASUS mobos i would say as Ive
> already said u DONT need drivers for SATA if you're
> not going to use RAID. (on XP).
>

> "FG" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
>
>>I think you are too affirmative.
>>Depends on which board.
>>
>>"Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>cqtd1o$k03$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>
>>>You dont need/have to install any drivers for SATA, if
>>>you're not using RAID.
>>>
>>>I use one SATA as master, with XP, no prob at all.
>>>
>>>Just use the cd as normal to boot from, and if the SATA hdd
>>>is plugged in properly and set as primary master, it'll install
>>>XP etc on it. It may still pay to install SP1/2 after tho.
>>>
>>>You only need drivers if u set RAID up in the BIOS, and if
>>>u actually use RAID.
>>>

>>>"Ola A Johansson" <wheel1@telia.com> wrote in message

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

One intersting point... The Ghost 8 (Corp Edition) boot floppies I made
manages to see the VIA SATA controller and the drives. I guess they have
some sort of controller driver in there that takes care of it.

Windows XP is blind to them without the F6/Driver inclusion.

-Larry

> Well, I have an ASUS motherboard, and there is
> no way to have it recognized by WinXp's installation
> CD, nor by Ghost 9 bootable CD.
> Whatever you say.
>
> Once Windows has been installed and after I choose
> SCSI(SATA) as the bootable HD, of course I no
> longer need to insert a diskette.
>
> And I DO NOT use RAID.
>

> "Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> cqvm6v$b3b$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>> Well could be but ASUS mobos i would say as Ive
>> already said u DONT need drivers for SATA if you're
>> not going to use RAID. (on XP).
>>

>> "FG" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
>>>I think you are too affirmative.
>>> Depends on which board.