[SOLVED] Wich type of towel is adequate to clear thermal compound already applied ?

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Hello guys. I want to swap my I9 9900k CPU, wich is already installed in the socket with an stock air cooler, ( the system is brand new), to another motherboard. The question is wich is the best type of towel adequate for clear the thermal compound ? I saw on the Internet that the most type of towel used for this operation is a regular paper towel or sometimes is used a cofee filter paper, maybe because their surface is softer than regular paper (Linustechtips youtuber). Do exist a dedicated type of towel, if yes, wich is ? I don’t want to make wrong this delicate operation and scratch the CPU. Thank you very much and appreciate.

Last edited:
Solution
Minor scratches on the CPU are not a problem. The cooler paste will balance those out. That's what it's there for after all.
I would honestly not spend money on a "dedicated" cpu cleaning cloth. A piece of kitchen paper towel or toilet paper will do, but you can ofc use microfiber cloth, for example. Just make sure that whatever cloth you use is anti-static. Don't use a dust rag.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Minor scratches on the CPU are not a problem. The cooler paste will balance those out. That's what it's there for after all.
I would honestly not spend money on a "dedicated" cpu cleaning cloth. A piece of kitchen paper towel or toilet paper will do, but you can ofc use microfiber cloth, for example. Just make sure that whatever cloth you use is anti-static. Don't use a dust rag.

Last edited:
Solution

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Just use regular paper towels. If you have it, use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol). You won't scratch the metal on the CPU. Even if you did, it won't break the CPU.
Thank you for your answer.O, sorry, I forgot to mention that I already bought Arctic Silver Clean 12, wich is a kit with two liquids dedicated to do this. Seems to be a good product considering the reviews. Anyway, I don’t know what brand of thermal compound was used, most probably the factory pre applied paste, but I think I can use this Arctic product, isnt it ?

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
just make sure its lint free... and if you, for example, use coffee filters. I have used them... do not use much fluid to remove the thermal paste... as the absorption of coffee filters is rather poor.
Thank you all, guys. Some people prefer to use isopropyl alcohol instead of this Arctic kit, because they say the isopropyl alcohol is safer, as long as this kit have an unknown formula. Whatever, it does matter the concentration of the isopropyl alcohol ? I found it on the market with a 99% concentration. It is good ?

Thank you all, guys. Some people prefer to use isopropyl alcohol instead of this Arctic kit, because they say the isopropyl alcohol is safer, as long as this kit have an unknown formula. Whatever, it does matter the concentration of the isopropyl alcohol ? I found it on the market with a 99% concentration. It is good ?

Isopropyl alcohol works well removing the compound, alcohol (with a high concentration percentage) is prefered because it vaporizes very easily at room temperature. Water doesn't clean nearly as well and barely vaporizes at room temperature. 99% is definitely more than high enough. If you use regular paper towels, just make sure you clean off any left over fibers/lint you can see.

Reactions: Violett