Wierd CPU cooling problem (i7 7700k) NEED HELP ASAP!!!

brodi97

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
hello all, i need some BIG help as i have a really weird ( and majorly frusterating)CPU cooling issue. i have just built a new gaming PC hat i do not intend to overclock. i have an antec duel raditator watercooler, decent z270 mobo, and a i7770k ( i went with this over the 7700 due to the higher clock speeds) now i built together nicely with decent silver based thermal paste. booted first go and everything, but i noticed that the temps in bios for CPU were around 45, which is way too hot for my liking under stock clock and watercooling. i loaded windows onto it, updated everything, installed all mobo chipset drivers, flashed bios to newest version. now not only is the temps bad in bios, on idle using many different third party programs ( aida64, HW moniter ect) my idle temps are about 34 ish, thats not the werid part, weird part is they fluctuate like crazy, like they randomly jump say 30 degrees at a time instantly, under seemingly no load, and when under load uaually jump to about 55 - 60 degrees, then back down, this is all cores and happens under random loads. the jumps apear random, and are extremly inconsistent. they flutiate wildly. however the system is very stable, i ran a stress test from 2 differnt programs, stressing the cpue for 3 hours each and never jumped past 70 degrees. i reseated and double checked the heatsink is seated properly and used the correct amount of thermal paste, also used pea method aswell correclty. done that 4 times now.... i cannot for the life of me find the cause of this strange heating issue. any and all help is greatly apprteciated as i bellieve a componant may be faulty, but due to purchasing [parts online seperatly i need to figuer out what part to return. also the randomenss of the cores is independant to eachother, so one core may be up to 35 degrees diffence than others at any point, however under no load they seem to be not as jumpy but still have random swings. thankyou in advance :)

Harsh_11

Commendable
May 9, 2016
Hi, I finished my build yesterday and I too have i7 7700k but with coolermaster hyper 212 LED cooler. I am also running at stock speed. Don't worry about the flactuations. Stop pulling out the cooler every time. If your temperature at idle is 33-34C and under load hover around 60-70C you are ok. I ran the system whole night and those are the temperature I got. System is running very stable and those flactuations are not to worry about. It happens in the latest kaby lake. It runs hotter than previous generation as it have high stock clocks. So, your temperatures are fine don't worry about it.

brodi97

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

ok thankyou this does actually help. what about under minimal load? as i can get up to 60 degree temps just running a movie or a simple CPU intensive game such as RS, which i never got anything close to those temps with my old 3770k. thankyou a bunch man, ease of mind is worth alot haha. but do you get the same problems under minimal loads? becouse at the moment it seems to be a all in or all out type situation where any load is max temp and no load is ide cheers in advance :) also to note its a 240mm high RPM fan and radiator setup thats quite strong, so im not sure if that makes any differencve i was just expecting cooler temps than what i thought thats all :p

Harsh_11

Commendable
May 9, 2016
I was running YouTube and it was flactuating around 40-45C with windows update and few other programs. I fired up a game and I expected the temperature to rise but it stayed at 33C. I researched a lot (when I say a lot it means a lot lol) and found that 7700k runs higher temps than all the previous gens, and that wonky flactuation is nothing to worry about if you around 30-35C stable on idle n few programs running. You have a water cooler but temperatures are identical as on stock speed you will not see much of a difference. When overclocking yours will oviously perform better than mine. But try to fit the cooler in the best effective method. Search it online and see tutorials. I think you can go 2-3C lower with liquid cooler. Do tell me the results as I will soon be purchasing an AIO cooler due to hot summers here.

brodi97

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

sure no worries, ill muck around with the cooler some more becouse i too do think that a few more degrees is achievable, but i have tried everything and mounted the cooler as txt book as i could, used decent thermal paste. let me know if you find anymore info on the 7700k as i have also done as much research as i could, and you can never know too much about your own system :) but a cooler running temp from me would be much better suited to my gaming than my program usage, thanks mate :p

brodi97

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

ok thankyou, let us know if there are any other developments mate :p cheers for the reply :)

TRENDING THREADS