wierd lag with gtx 770

jason katsou

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
since the time i bought my gtx 770 asus dcu ii i see a wierd lag(like i am playing in 29 fps) when fps goes between 40s and 50s...i tried to record a video while playing bf4(campaign+i also tested other games as well) and when my fps went under 50s it was still stuttering.but when i saw my recorded video it was really smoth and fine...Whats wrong??
my system
i5 4670
asus h87m-e
8gbs ram 1600mhz
500gb caviar black(games are installed there)
500gb old barracuda
psu evga 600b
windows 7 64bit

jason katsou

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013

i have the newest drivers!!!let me ask you something else.is it normal to reach lowest 37 fps on campaign on ultra settings 1080p msaa 4x???

jason katsou

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013

but it is on campaign!!!!what will happen if i go multiplayer???i have seen several people on youtube with the "same"system as mine and they get decent fps...only in windows 8.1...

barto

Expert
Ambassador
There are quite a few discussions about the Nvidia cards (particularly the 770) experiencing frame rate drops. Some of the possible reasons for the frame rate drops are: W7 vs W8 (W8 being more stable); 2GB VRAM not enough; Poor optimization of BF4.

You shouldn't have low frames in single player. It's pretty much scripted so performance shouldn't vary. Multiplayer isn't. BF4 has a very intense environment.

Also, the latest drivers don't have any improvements over the 331.82 for single card performance. You can read the release notes.

I have frames that go from 50-90 which is a huge spread. I haven't sat down and tried tweaking to stop the frame drops. But you can simply google and read what others are saying.

jason katsou

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013

how many fps do you get on bf4...i dont experience this only in bf4 and also on other games...when i touch 45-49 fps tha game looks like it runs on 26 or so....thats what i mean!!!i recorded it and the lag wasnt visible and all seemed smooth!!!

you should should be able to get at least 50 fps on valley on that card. Make sure you have proper airflow, that your temps are managable.

a suggestion may be to try a different psu (borrow one if possible so you don't have to buy one) Like i said, if you want accurate fps readings, turn OFF v-sync to start

jason katsou

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013

It is not the psu my friend.i had a cm 500w and I changed to this evga 600b 49A and there is not a difference on performance...remember that my card is not over clocked...i have seen people who have same fps as me on valley

Ok, my only reference was that i had a reference 680, (essentially a 770) and consistently got 54 fps on valley extreme hd 1080p preset.

Your psu is indeed adequate, but parts fail and degrade, and a surprisingly common cause of stuttering is a bad psu. It's uncommon, but just another thing to try once other solutions have been tried and failed.

jason katsou

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
There is no way changing psu again...I just think I should make some changes in the nvidia control panel...some one who has the Same problem as mine(gtx 580)said that he turned v sync on and thriple buffering on from the control panel and some how the stutter stopped...I haven't tried it yet but I hope it will work!

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I myself have experienced issues with Battlefield 4 on my GTX 770, but usually on ultra settings I do get around 60 FPS. While it does tend to dip below more than most other games, I still never see anything below 40 really. However it is really annoying how it happens like that. I think it is due most likely to both Battlefield 4 being marketed towards AMD GPU's (more affordable 3GB graphics cards) or poor optimization of the game. While I can run Battlefield 3 no sweat all ultra settings at 70+ FPS and 1350 MB VRAM max being used, for some reason Battlefield 4 has FPS spikes frequently and the VRAM usage is around 1600-1850 and I see no reason for it. Performance issues could be due to not enough video memory, but I think 2GB should be enough for 1080p for at least a few more years, as the other most intense games on the market do not even use close to 2GB yet. I think it's mostly a marketing play. After all, the recommended GPU's for BF4, the 7870 and the 660, only have 2GB video ram , which doesn't make sense, how can you recommend a video card with 2GB VRAM but also recommend 3GB VRAM? Strange to me....

slimething

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

Any of the early videos and benchmarks are not very reliable. In fact, none may be.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955064768159361567/

This guy is also running a GTX 770.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GMTXpmrIEI

(FPS Without Fraps)
Min FPS-39 Average FPS-56 Max FPS-75

That's closer to reality.

Pedge

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
I am running the same GPU as OP and have pretty much constant 60fps (I have capped it ingame with a config file) with Ultra Settings, 4x MSAA and even 120 FOV which taxes a bit more.
I use the ingame counter which I obviously can't look at constantly but whenever I do it's on 60. When it was not capped I got up to 120 (standing still with nothing else on screen mind), but floated around 75fps.
Although I am running W8.1 which apparently can gain up to 10fps on W7 because it's optimised. (All in MP)

Try MP and see if it dips below 50fps still, I reckon it should be 50+ breaking 60 even on W7.

Side-note: Is there anyway to track my FPS in a log of some sort? Then I can see if it dips in intense situations. Most of my dips occur in the menus down to 45fps haha, but only for a second or two.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

I should try upgrading to 8.1, but I just built my rig and went with a fresh copy of 7 because I heard that Windows 8 was atrocious (seems now I was mislead). I usually see around 60 fps or better, in fact some maps is rarely even dips into the 60's at all (Rogue Transmission is one of those maps), but in some cases I get frequent dips into the 45 fps range, and it's really annoying when it dives from 60-45-60-45. Do you think a Win 8 update would solve that? Not gonna do it until maybe a year so I can get a SSD and install it on, but still. If you would like to keep track of your framerates in-game and benchmark yourself, you can run the Benchmarking tool within FRAPS.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

Download Fraps (free version). You can turn on benchmarking that will record the min, max, and average for 60 seconds or when you turn it off by hot key.

jason katsou

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013

I Unfortunately haven't the mp yet because a friend of mine gave the campaign to me ;D...does the game have different versions because I guess I have the first one.does it make any difference?...in addition in ac black flag I don't drop below 43 fps with ultra settings txaa 2x and god rays LOW.i guess it's ok...

Pedge

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
I ran fraps for 5 minutes yesterday when I was in a game and got
Min: 51 Max: 107 Avg: 68
I can't remember if I died within that time, but as I said before I get drops in the death menus.
I will run again later today and try stopping when I die to rule out those dips which in all honesty don't matter.
Again it's optimised for W8.1 so -10 frames from my Avg is what you might see on W7. Yet to try campaign, so cannot say whether that's lower or not, I'll do that at some point later today too.