WIERD problem, need help... *DELETED*

endyen

Splendid
It could be that the north bridge is getting too hot. Use a house fan to blow extra air at it, to see if the error goes away. It could also be the start of the end for your psu. Check your voltages.

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
You may want to try running memtest86 and see if you get errors.

Watch out for the <b><font color=red>bloody</font color=red></b> Fanboys!

AMD64 2800+ :: MSI Neo-Fis2r :: 1024mb Kingmax ddr400 :: Sapphire 9800pro 128mb :: 10K WD Raptor

Addicted, finally.

G

I also did a norton antivirus full system scan w/ latest def. and no viruses... I opened sandra and it says memory 00000000 has to do with the system board under memory resources. That's the register that always has problems when application get this error upon me quiting them. I'll also defrag my disks tonight... There's a good quality heatsink on the northbridge and it's never had an overheating problem... I checked the power supply rails in the bios and they're all perfect, it's a quality enlight 420w power supply. I have no idea... I'm guessing the motherboard is going?

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Before you try swapping motherboards, I would backup your files and try a clean install of Windows. You could be having a problem that a repair won't fix. I've heard of people having similar problems after getting hit with Sasser. After removing it, it had left some residual damage behind on the system.

<i>Forget AMD and Intel, those are for fanboy lusers. The C3 is where it's at. Via Rulez!</i>

G

hmm... I can reinstall win2k and keep all my programs on the hd right? Maybe I should try that... I've tried everything else... swapping memory, turning off virtual memory... it only happens with certain programs though... netscape, aol im, ie... it doesn't happen with yahoo messenger. Most other programs it happens with however. So, maybe just reinstall win2k while keeping all my files?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've seen failing boards cause that from bad capacitors, but 9 out of 10 times you can actually SEE if the capacitors have problems (swollen tops or leaking bottoms, or stains on the top).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Take crashman's advice and check what he suggests first. That won't take very long and is a worth a shot.

If it comes down to trying the reinstall, then you can try reinstalling over your current install, that might or might not work depending. If it doesn't, I'd bite the bullet, wipe the drive, and do a complete reinstall. No matter which method you try, BACKUP YOUR DATA FIRST.

Before going this far, maybe hold out and see if there are any more suggestions offered.

<i>Cigarettes - No cholesterol, high in fiber, low in fat, how could they not be good for you?</i>

G

What does a bad capacitor look like? (edit: I'll go and do an internet search)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lmulder on 09/20/04 08:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
The caps you are most concerned with are near your chip. They are small cylinders with flat tops. If there is gunk that has oozed out, or if the top is no longer flat, there's your problem.