[SOLVED] Wierd system issues. Unstable and locks up.

victorb17

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
Ok, I have a Windows 10 system here that is driving me crazy. I cannot figure out what is causing the instability.

It is almost hard to put in words all that it is doing. Let me start with some back story.

About 2 or 3 weeks ago the system started restarting itself. I mostly happened when I was not in front of it, but one day I finally caught it. It was giving a bug check with DPC_Watchdog_Violation. As the days went on it bug checked more and more often, to the point where it was totally unusable and would check immediately after logging in, sometimes before.

I could boot into safe mode and it would be very stable. I preformed SFC scans, dskchk, memcheck, and intel's processor diagnostic tool and every test was passed. I scanned for viruses with avast and spybot. All clean. I concluded that because safe mode was stable, it must be a driver or software issue. I unplugged all peripherals and tried various combinations of things plugged in and unplugged. I never found any device to be the definitive cause. Also this system has been rock solid stable for years. I eventually decided to wipe the system and start clean. I did a fresh install of windows 10 and it still had the same issues. Since this did not fix the issue I was convinced it had to be hardware related. I automatically save a disk image once a week to another drive, so I restored my system using the latest image. I only keep the most recent 5 images due to storage space, and they all have the same issues. I should also note that I tried many system restore points with no success.

I started watching the cpu temp and decided that it must be over heating. You can also reference this thread https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cpu-temps-rising-in-seconds.3699410/ After getting the temps down the system is at least usable and for the most part stable-ish. What I mean is I constatly get wierd error messages from random pieces of software. I also will sit down at the computer and the screens are blinking in and out or are wierd and barely usable. Here is a screen shot of that:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GMAmCXq3rogWmbe3A - There is supposed to be a background and there where apps opened. Also normally there is no white frame.

Here is a close up of one of the random errors:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fb51Gkr4RAtoiBtKA

I also get network errors like these:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MYYgJQSgWZ5orWgb9 - This was from typing google.com in the address bar.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aegZdLQyzy8zP6uj6 - This was from clicking on tomshardware from google search results.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QJ1f86hVsJHL2JYp7 - trying to use google photos while making this post.

Keep in mind here that other sites work fine. Which work and when is random. Also I stream ip cameras from across the internet using blue iris. During all of those messages, I had a good constant video stream with no interruptions.

I will also get other oddities such as when editing a pdf with pdfescape (something I do all the time) it randomly crashes. It litteraly just goes away with no message or warning. Also if I try to close Blue iris, it locks blue iris up, and I have to force close it via TM.

Is there any other tests that I can run? I don't know where to go from here. Any help is appreciated.

Here is System Info:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-LDTBNS2
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0801, 1/25/2017
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product MAXIMUS IX CODE
BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume6
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.906"
User Name DESKTOP-LDTBNS2\victo
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 8.02 GB
Total Virtual Memory 63.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 53.5 GB
Page File Space 48.0 GB
Page File S:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Running
Virtualization-based security Required Security Properties
Virtualization-based security Available Security Properties Base Virtualization Support, Mode Based Execution Control
Virtualization-based security Services Configured
Virtualization-based security Services Running
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.

Ok, I have a Windows 10 system here that is driving me crazy. I cannot figure out what is causing the instability.

It is almost hard to put in words all that it is doing. Let me start with some back story.

About 2 or 3 weeks ago the system started restarting itself. I mostly happened when I was not in front of it, but one day I finally caught it. It was giving a bug check with DPC_Watchdog_Violation. As the days went on it bug checked more and more often, to the point where it was totally unusable and would check immediately after logging in, sometimes before.

I could boot into safe mode and it would be very stable. I preformed SFC scans, dskchk, memcheck, and intel's processor diagnostic tool and every test was passed. I scanned for viruses with avast and spybot. All clean. I concluded that because safe mode was stable, it must be a driver or software issue. I unplugged all peripherals and tried various combinations of things plugged in and unplugged. I never found any device to be the definitive cause. Also this system has been rock solid stable for years. I eventually decided to wipe the system and start clean. I did a fresh install of windows 10 and it still had the same issues. Since this did not fix the issue I was convinced it had to be hardware related. I automatically save a disk image once a week to another drive, so I restored my system using the latest image. I only keep the most recent 5 images due to storage space, and they all have the same issues. I should also note that I tried many system restore points with no success.

I started watching the cpu temp and decided that it must be over heating. You can also reference this thread https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cpu-temps-rising-in-seconds.3699410/ After getting the temps down the system is at least usable and for the most part stable-ish. What I mean is I constatly get wierd error messages from random pieces of software. I also will sit down at the computer and the screens are blinking in and out or are wierd and barely usable. Here is a screen shot of that:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GMAmCXq3rogWmbe3A - There is supposed to be a background and there where apps opened. Also normally there is no white frame.

Here is a close up of one of the random errors:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fb51Gkr4RAtoiBtKA

I also get network errors like these:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MYYgJQSgWZ5orWgb9 - This was from typing google.com in the address bar.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aegZdLQyzy8zP6uj6 - This was from clicking on tomshardware from google search results.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QJ1f86hVsJHL2JYp7 - trying to use google photos while making this post.

Keep in mind here that other sites work fine. Which work and when is random. Also I stream ip cameras from across the internet using blue iris. During all of those messages, I had a good constant video stream with no interruptions.

I will also get other oddities such as when editing a pdf with pdfescape (something I do all the time) it randomly crashes. It litteraly just goes away with no message or warning. Also if I try to close Blue iris, it locks blue iris up, and I have to force close it via TM.

Is there any other tests that I can run? I don't know where to go from here. Any help is appreciated.

Here is System Info:
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0801, 1/25/2017
SMBIOS Version 3.0
BIOS Mode UEFI
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
Locale United States
Available Physical Memory 8.02 GB
Available Virtual Memory 53.5 GB
Page File Space 48.0 GB
Virtualization-based security Running
Virtualization-based security Required Security Properties
Virtualization-based security Available Security Properties Base Virtualization Support, Mode Based Execution Control
Virtualization-based security Services Configured
Virtualization-based security Services Running
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.
Get a can of compressed air and a small brush.
Give the innards a good cleaning.
Heat sinks and fans extra clean.
Don't forget the psu.....a few shots of air from both directions.
Power up and make sure all the fans function.

victorb17

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
Get a can of compressed air and a small brush.
Give the innards a good cleaning.
Heat sinks and fans extra clean.
Don't forget the psu.....a few shots of air from both directions.
Power up and make sure all the fans function.
Ok, I did this. I noticed that the power supply fan does not seem to be working. Is there a way to test this without tearing the ps open? It is a corsair. I tried speed fan but the ps fan did not show up. Maybe its running when I'm not looking?

victorb17

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
That psu fan runs on an as needed basis so it's normal to see it stopped.

Go to the mobo site and get the latest bios and chipset driver.
Looks like your a bit behind.

Ok, I updated the mobo firmware, but am not sure what to do with the chipset. I downloaded the 'chipset' zip file from asus and installed the intel management engine components. I am not sure what to do after that. There is no obvious exe, and no documentation that I could find.

Here is the new system info after mobo update:

System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1301, 3/14/2018
SMBIOS Version 3.0
BIOS Mode UEFI
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
Locale United States
Available Physical Memory 8.41 GB
Available Virtual Memory 54.7 GB
Page File Space 48.0 GB
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Ok, I updated the mobo firmware, but am not sure what to do with the chipset. I downloaded the 'chipset' zip file from asus and installed the intel management engine components. I am not sure what to do after that. There is no obvious exe, and no documentation that I could find.

Here is the new system info after mobo update:

System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1301, 3/14/2018
SMBIOS Version 3.0
BIOS Mode UEFI
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
Locale United States
Available Physical Memory 8.41 GB
Available Virtual Memory 54.7 GB
Page File Space 48.0 GB
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
Chipset.
I suppose you just run the installer and consider it done.
I can't test it on this machine to see if more needs to be done.

Run your normal stuff and see if things got better.

victorb17

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
Ok, so I have given it a week or so now. It seems that nothing has changed. The system will only stay stable for two-ish days at most before locking up. Sometimes not even 24 hours. I get weird messages from random programs running. Most recently, event 2004 resource-exhaustion-detector, event 124 Kernel Boot, and Event 41 Hyper-V-Hypervisor.

I also get lots of Distrbuted COM errors: Event 10010

I am at a loss as to what to do. My guess is hardware related, due to the fact that I did a clean windows install with the same issue. My other guess is Blue Iris. I have 22 cameras running and BI consumes lots of resources due to recording 24/7. I never notice it slowing the pc down though. When it compacts the DB, it will use 100% of my C drive (Samsung 960 Pro m.2).