Wierd Windows 10 encryption message? Elevation is required to view

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I have a 10th gen Intel laptop with Windows 10 Pro, and if I run System info and scroll down to Device Encryption support it say "Elevation is required to view".

The machine has a UEFI bios, supports TPM 2.0 which is enabled. However the third requirement Modern Standby is either not supported on not enabled in the firmware. Because if I run powercfg - A it says "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)
The system firmware does not support this standby state."

But if the machine didn't support Modern Standby wouldn't System information system Encryption not supported? But what does "Elevation is required to view" mean?

Elevation is required to view means u need administrator account

modern standby not working is fine, its new tech in PCs..needs to be hardware and driver supported.its more common in phones/tablets,
i doubt its required for encryption

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Elevation is required to view means u need administrator account

modern standby not working is fine, its new tech in PCs..needs to be hardware and driver supported.its more common in phones/tablets,
i doubt its required for encryption

Then there must be something wrong with my admin settings? Because if I use an account with admin priviledges I still get that elevantion needed?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
it mean you need to run it as administrator.
is security/safety feature

Thank you for your reply.

Finally I have figured it out myself. I right-clicked on systeminfo went for running at as admin, and I now I know why I can't get the drive to encrypt. Apprently it requires that the computer supports Modern Standby. Which according to Systeminfo it doesn't.

The highlighted area says "Test for support for drive encryption. Cause is failed support of unit encryption. Test of hardware failed. Unit doesn't support Modern Standby".

View: https://imgur.com/a/bVEH0wd

So in other words because they didn't install Modern Standby into the machine all the fancy features cannot be used to encrypt the main drive :(

I don't get why Asus would build-in a TPM 2.0 module for enterprise in this laptop, and forget to put a PSU which supports Modern Standby?