[SOLVED] Wifi 6 not detectable by HP Elitebook 850 G3

Jun 8, 2020
Hi,

This is my first thread on this forum so i don't now if am posting in the right section.

I have changed my wi fi router in my house with TP Link Archer AX50, so i could benefit from the new AX transmission and access features.

I have two laptops in my house from work, hence the enterpise thread, one is a Lenovo Thinkpad T460 the other one is HP laptop in the title.

I have a problem on the 2.4 GHz network when the b/g/n/ax mixed mode is enabled, the HP does not see the network but the Lenovo does. When i switch to the b/g/n mode the HP sees the network and connects to it. Seeing as both of them are from work, i cannot do driver a driver update as i have limited privilegies on them.

The network card in the HP is an Intel Dual Band Wireless AC8260.

Any suggestions on what i can do to leave the AX mode enabled and make the HP laptop to connect to it?

P.S. toggling OFDMA on and off does not help either.

Thank you.

Solution
Theu have unique SSIDs. I cannot connect on the 5GHz because it has ax enabled thus not detectable by my laptop.

Also the router is set for mixed mode on the radios so all the standards should be accessible. I have searched the manufacturers site and forums, but no luck.

I was hoping some else might have had a similar issue.
That shouldn't be the case. "ax" should allow "ac" and even "n" and "a" -- check your router config. The User Manual for that router says it should be backward compatible with all previous standards. Start by manually setting the channel width to 40mhz on 5Ghz with a channel of 36. That should provide the most universally compatible settings.
Jun 8, 2020
I looked on both laptops and they the same network card, different driver versions though, but they connect to different standards, the Lenovo connects to 802.11 n and the HP to 802.11 g.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

This is my first thread on this forum so i don't now if am posting in the right section.

I have changed my wi fi router in my house with TP Link Archer AX50, so i could benefit from the new AX transmission and access features.

I have two laptops in my house from work, hence the enterpise thread, one is a Lenovo Thinkpad T460 the other one is HP laptop in the title.

I have a problem on the 2.4 GHz network when the b/g/n/ax mixed mode is enabled, the HP does not see the network but the Lenovo does. When i switch to the b/g/n mode the HP sees the network and connects to it. Seeing as both of them are from work, i cannot do driver a driver update as i have limited privilegies on them.

The network card in the HP is an Intel Dual Band Wireless AC8260.

Any suggestions on what i can do to leave the AX mode enabled and make the HP laptop to connect to it?

P.S. toggling OFDMA on and off does not help either.

Thank you.
The AC8260 is not an 802.11ax card. If you want that capability you will have to change hardware. That card is 802.11ac only -- https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/86068/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-8260.html

Jun 8, 2020
The AC8260 is not an 802.11ax card. If you want that capability you will have to change hardware. That card is 802.11ac only -- https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/86068/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-8260.html

Thank you for the quick reply, but as you can see in my second post both laptops have the same card, but they connect to different standards of the same SSID, when b/g/n only is active and one of them connects also the b/g/n/ax is enabled.

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for the quick reply, but as you can see in my second post both laptops have the same card, but they connect to different standards of the same SSID, when b/g/n only is active and one of them connects also the b/g/n/ax is enabled.
"n" and "g" may both be connecting to 2.4Ghz.
Start by ensuring your 2.4 and 5Ghz radios have unique SSIDs. You should then be able to connect to the 5Ghz via "ac".

Jun 8, 2020
Theu have unique SSIDs. I cannot connect on the 5GHz because it has ax enabled thus not detectable by my laptop.

Also the router is set for mixed mode on the radios so all the standards should be accessible. I have searched the manufacturers site and forums, but no luck.

kanewolf

Titan

That shouldn't be the case. "ax" should allow "ac" and even "n" and "a" -- check your router config. The User Manual for that router says it should be backward compatible with all previous standards. Start by manually setting the channel width to 40mhz on 5Ghz with a channel of 36. That should provide the most universally compatible settings.

Reactions: tovy14
Solution
Jun 8, 2020

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any suggestions for the settings for the 2.4 Ghz because that is the network that i want to connect the laptops on?

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the info.

Do you have any suggestions for the settings for the 2.4 Ghz because that is the network that i want to connect the laptops on?
The 2.4Ghz will be slower than 5Ghz. With dual band WIFI in the laptops, you should only use 2.4Ghz as a last resort. BUT to configure 2.4ghz, set the channel to 1, 6 or 11 and the channel width to 20mhz (or auto).

Reactions: tovy14