[SOLVED] Wifi access from far distance

Aug 8, 2018
So hey there i have one question how can i access my wifi router from far away i mean configuration remotely access I need to configure that and is it safe? hard to deal with ?
TL-WR940Nuter is the router TPLINKWIFI

Solution

Oh my that's bad.

I'd give extra credit to the student who knew how to do that, but didn't and instead described the multiple reasons that is a bad idea.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If the question is whether you can enable remote access to your router, the answer is yes. You just have to configure in the router's settings (requires local admin access to configure).

See page 50 of the manual: https://static.tp-link.com/2017/201712/20171215/1910012310_TL-WR940N_V6_UG.pdf

Whether it is safe is debatable. I recommend disabling this feature for most users. It does create an access point into your network from external threats. Why do you want to enable this feature?

Aug 8, 2018
Well i have a homework at my academy IT and i need to configure my wifi router Port forwarding to let others (In academy) see my router i mean log in and thanks for that i am gonna check

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just as a heads up on this. According to your ISP you may have a static or dynamic IP with the latter being more common. If so you will need to install and use an IP updater service so that you can actually 'find' your addy while away.

USAFRet

Titan

Are you wanting to access this via WiFi, or through the internet?

Via WiFi is almost certainly not possible, and very unsafe if you do.
Via the internet is probably possible, but unsafe if you do.

What are you actually trying to do, and why?

USAFRet

Titan

Oh my that's bad.

I'd give extra credit to the student who knew how to do that, but didn't and instead described the multiple reasons that is a bad idea.

Solution