[SOLVED] Wifi Access Point supporting sfp/fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2020
Hi everyone,

is anybody aware of a wifi access point which supports 802.11ax (Wifi 6th generation) and comes with a SFP/SFP+ port or multimode fiber support?

I'm moving house and preferrably I'd transition from a copper-based infrastructure to a fiber-based infrastructure in my new home. I've found some available APs with wifi 6 support, but in general they come with a RJ45 port. There are some outdoor APs with a direct singlemode fiber interface (I guess to span a wide area wifi network, like in a zoo/park/convention center etc.) at very high prices. I wasn't able to find an AP with a SFP/SFP+ port.

Thank you!

Cheers

Solution
You won't find one. You'll need to get a router that has AP capability, and use that. But it's not going to be cheap. It's going to be VERY expensive. I've been looking for a router with WiFi 6/AX capability AND SFP+ for my network because about half of my network including my QNAP NAS box and main PC are already on SFP+ and I'd like the ability to connect directly at the much higher rate to the router that will be streaming my multimedia content from my NAS box. The only one I've found is an ASUS unit that is about 600 bucks, so that's not going to be happening for a while. I imagine eventually they'll become more widely available.
You won't find one. You'll need to get a router that has AP capability, and use that. But it's not going to be cheap. It's going to be VERY expensive. I've been looking for a router with WiFi 6/AX capability AND SFP+ for my network because about half of my network including my QNAP NAS box and main PC are already on SFP+ and I'd like the ability to connect directly at the much higher rate to the router that will be streaming my multimedia content from my NAS box. The only one I've found is an ASUS unit that is about 600 bucks, so that's not going to be happening for a while. I imagine eventually they'll become more widely available.

Solution
You could use a media converter or a small switch.
Fiber primarily is used for distance not for speed. If you use cat6a cable you can get 10gbit which is still the fastest you can run on fiber unless you go for some of the very exotic solutions used in data centers.

The other nice thing when you are talking about AP and copper cable is you can power the AP via the cable. This allows you to for example power it with a switch and use a single UPS to protect that switch rather than place a UPS in every room to protect against power outage.

In general no AP is going to even come close to being able to carry 1gb of traffic. The number people have been reporting on the newest 802.11ax devices is around 600mbps maximum.

If you are worried about the future I would run flexible conduit in a new house it allows you to replace any cable. There is no way to project the future of technology. All the people jumping up and down about buying wifi6 back 9 months ago as "future proof" have yet again been proved wrong with wifi6e "soon" to be on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS