WD black 512 M.2
Seagate 256 SSD
PSU: Coolermaster GX 750 cmstorm 80 plus bronze
AIO 240mm deepcool liquid cooler
Cabinet Antec NX500
Nvidia Quadro fx4800
My Mobo doesn't support wifi by itself, so I bought a TP link wifi adapter:
TP-Link USB WiFi Adapter for PC(TL-WN725N) https://amzn.eu/d/9KsOsuq
The speeds are awfully slow, around 1Mbps.
I thought it was the location of the PC from the router so I used my laptop at the same location and I was getting around 50Mbps.
I've updated all my drivers, I have a feeling I'm missing something.

Solution
Those type of adapters are the worst type you can buy for a desktop. They have very low power and have tiny antenna. Then you almost put them inside your huge metal case blocking almost all the signals.

You laptop likely has a full power wifi nic card and has large antenna mounted somewhere on the screen where it is not being blocked.

I would first try a USB extension cable and move the device away from the computer and see if you get better results. That is a fairly low end device but I would think you would get much more than 1mbit. Don't expect much more than say 30mbps.

I would buy a USB device that is a newer generation with like a 1200 number on it. You want to look for a device that already comes with a...
Well, - I don't know how amazon register their sub domains and therefore disclaimer it can be totally legit. However, your link says amzn dot eu, however following the link takes you to something that looks like an Indian sub domain.

Therefore - You absolutely sure you've got the correct product? What does device manager says?

Also make sure you've not both connected by cable and wifi.

Those type of adapters are the worst type you can buy for a desktop. They have very low power and have tiny antenna. Then you almost put them inside your huge metal case blocking almost all the signals.

You laptop likely has a full power wifi nic card and has large antenna mounted somewhere on the screen where it is not being blocked.

I would first try a USB extension cable and move the device away from the computer and see if you get better results. That is a fairly low end device but I would think you would get much more than 1mbit. Don't expect much more than say 30mbps.

I would buy a USB device that is a newer generation with like a 1200 number on it. You want to look for a device that already comes with a USB cable and many times has external antenna. These devices tend to be designed for desktops and put out more power.

Reactions: Grobe

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
Well, - I don't know how amazon register their sub domains and therefore disclaimer it can be totally legit. However, your link says amzn dot eu, however following the link takes you to something that looks like an Indian sub domain.

Therefore - You absolutely sure you've got the correct product? What does device manager says?

Also make sure you've not both connected by cable and wifi.
Yes, I live in India so the link is correct.
I've only connected the adapter.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022

I would buy a USB device that is a newer generation with like a 1200 number on it. You want to look for a device that already comes with a USB cable and many times has external antenna. These devices tend to be designed for desktops and put out more power.
I was having a similar concern, will get something with antennae.

Solution