[SOLVED] Wifi adapter issues - need help

fiddsy

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
Hi all, appreciate any help and thanks in advanced for reading.

Having a slight issue with my wifi adapters at home.
First off, I have a 50mbps connection (crappy aus).
Hard wired to any device, im getting 52mbps.
On my Linux laptop with killer ax1650 wifi im getting 52mbps.
Phones on wifi with mobile data turned off also get 50-52mbps.
However on my wifes laptop and our home PC, the wifi starts off at around 47mbps before dropping right down to about 2mbps within the 8 seconds or so that it takes to do a speed test.

at first i thought the wifi adapter must be stuffed in the old PC - ASUS PCE N53 dual band wireless N600 adapter - but have recently replaced it (today) with an ASUS AX-3000 dual band wireless adapter.
although seems to be working better, it does the same thing - briefly starts at 47mbps before dropping anywhere between 8-20mbps.

This is also happening on my wifes laptop and her intel ax200 mini pcie adapter.
Both are running on windows.
Both are having identical issues.

Im sure its not a bandwidth issue as it does the same thing with same speeds on 2.4ghz as it does on the 5ghz.
I have also experimented with turning all other devices off..
or having all on and still on my laptop i get 52mbps.
Have tried updating drivers, removing and re adding device, resetting via command console and various other trouble shooting methods i have found online.

atm nothing has improved.
i also bought a new pcie mini intel wifi card for the wifes laptop incase that was the issue as well but hasnt arrived yet.
Considering the PC is still doing the same thing, definitely makes me think its not stuffed hardware..

any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Solution
This is where it would be nice if the chipset manufactures shared some data from the wifi chips. What you don't know is if it is that you are getting errors in the wifi transmission which is causing delays or if there is some other software issue in the pc.

If it was just one pc you would more suspect software. Not sure but I bet if you were to boot a linux on a USB stick it would work fine. That would mean it is something in windows doing it. I really wish I didn't have to run microsoft products especially now that they force their patches in that mess up all kinds of stuff.

One very common things that causes this is any software that claims it give "gamers" or any other traffic some kind of network priority. It comes...
This is where it would be nice if the chipset manufactures shared some data from the wifi chips. What you don't know is if it is that you are getting errors in the wifi transmission which is causing delays or if there is some other software issue in the pc.

If it was just one pc you would more suspect software. Not sure but I bet if you were to boot a linux on a USB stick it would work fine. That would mean it is something in windows doing it. I really wish I didn't have to run microsoft products especially now that they force their patches in that mess up all kinds of stuff.

One very common things that causes this is any software that claims it give "gamers" or any other traffic some kind of network priority. It comes bundled with the bloatware on many motherbaords and video cards. The strange thing is it should also affect traffic when you use ethernet.

Maybe you will find something interesting using a testing tool like IPERF. This is a very simple line mode tools that test at a very low level. It is not impacted much by things like cpu memory disk etc. Since it runs directly from a cmd line it also is not affected by most browser issues.
I have not run this on wifi in a very long time so I don't know what to expect. On ethernet you get 900+mbps in both directions to other machines in your house.

Solution