Question Wifi Adapter (Netgear Nighthawk A8000) disconnects periodically and won't reconnect without a reset

dragonborn123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
The Problem: A8000 in my Windows 10 desktop occasionally disconnects (and by disconnect I mean it turns off, no blue light) and it won't reconnect/turn on unless I reset the adapter (via switch usb ports, enable/disable, or run the troubleshooter). None of my other devices have issues with the WiFi. Gigabit internet, USB 3.0 port.

What I've Tried: I've disabled the power saving options on all my USB ports and on the adapter itself. I've disabled USB selective suspend. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the adapter. I've switched USB ports, I've disabled all other WiFi adapters.

The A8000 has been great when it works, but it's so unreliable. Any ideas?

Lutfij

Titan
unless I reset the adapter (via switch usb ports, enable/disable, or run the troubleshooter). None of my other devices have issues with the WiFi. Gigabit internet, USB 3.0 port.
Try using the adapter without an USB hub and make sure you've reinstalled your chipset driver with the latest version in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

One other thing you can look at is if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. Speaking of, what is the make and model of your motherboard? Try and use an older driver version and see if you regain stability. I gave up on Netgear networking adapters since they were buggy and all over the place for some of the stuff I've used off their portfolio.

dragonborn123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
This wireless network adapter?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/a8000/

Are you using the extension cable and cradle?

= = = =

Download the applicable adapter drivers directly from Netgear's website.

Manually install and reconfigure for your network.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/A8000/A8000_QSG_EN.pdf

No third party tools or installers.
That's the correct product and I'm using the extension cable and cradle. I did download the latest driver from the website directly and installed it manually.

dragonborn123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
unless I reset the adapter (via switch usb ports, enable/disable, or run the troubleshooter). None of my other devices have issues with the WiFi. Gigabit internet, USB 3.0 port.
Try using the adapter without an USB hub and make sure you've reinstalled your chipset driver with the latest version in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

One other thing you can look at is if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. Speaking of, what is the make and model of your motherboard? Try and use an older driver version and see if you regain stability. I gave up on Netgear networking adapters since they were buggy and all over the place for some of the stuff I've used off their portfolio.
That's a good suggestion, I don't think I've tried reinstalling with elevated permissions. I'll give that a go.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (really old, believe it was purchased in 2012, I haven't gotten around to upgrading everything in the machine just yet). I can look into BIOS updates, but I don't think I'm behind and my mobo is likely way beyond end-of-life support.

I have heard Netgear can be buggy, so I was pretty hesitant to try this one, but I also read that they were some of the fastest and most reliable if you're one of the lucky few who don't encounter issues. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of the lucky ones.