Question Wifi adapter on windows 10 keeps getting rto either randomly / heavy load

rapierv

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018
I have this TP-Link W725N wifi adapter im using on my PC Desktop, its really weird it was working just fine a few days ago (maybe because of the windows 10 update, so i suspect it has something to do with this win10 update thats always ruining peoples' lives).
So basically it can connect, while pinging to google.com, for a moment, or somtimes quite a long time (if im doing nothing that uses the internet) it doesnt disconnect, but as soon as i open a video on youtube or sometimes just opening a website, the ping says Request timed out, and basically the internet disconnects afterwards, i have to reconnect the wifi to fix it. and sometimes it disconnnects randomly too.
Tried the same exact wifi adapter, and in the same exact room, on a laptop with outdated windows 10, it works just fine.
im really lost here, can anyone help me? i tried to use all different driver, and still no luck.
its really frustrating, im not sure if its windows 10 update doing, but there is a big chance it is. i even tried to update the windows on my desktop PC even further, and still cant connect properly.

There is a setting that prevents windows from updating drivers. I would try to download the official driver from tplink. There are 3 versions so make sure you get the correct one. You could also try realtek who make the chipset and see if they have a driver. You need to figure out which chipset the device is using, it generally tells someplace in the same area you update the drivers in windows.

Although it may not be your issue I would try it on a USB extenstion cable. Those are type of units are the worst possible choice for desktop machines. They are tiny and have tiny antenna which are blocked by the metal in the case, this is even more true if you place it in a port on the back.

rapierv

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018
There is a setting that prevents windows from updating drivers. I would try to download the official driver from tplink. There are 3 versions so make sure you get the correct one. You could also try realtek who make the chipset and see if they have a driver. You need to figure out which chipset the device is using, it generally tells someplace in the same area you update the drivers in windows.

Although it may not be your issue I would try it on a USB extenstion cable. Those are type of units are the worst possible choice for desktop machines. They are tiny and have tiny antenna which are blocked by the metal in the case, this is even more true if you place it in a port on the back.
I swear to god, windows update brings nothing but ruin and frustration, the update doesnt even give something useful, only make some of your system broken.

1. I did try using the official TP link driver, and it gets even worse, more RTO
  2. do you know how to check what model or driver needed of a motherboard in the computer?
  3. The signal strength is not the issue here, because i tried the same device on a laptop, and it works fine, also i dont use the back usb for my pc, just the front.

I would hope it is not some USB driver thing. You should not need any drivers for the motherboard. The only other thing maybe some setting is different in the wifi from your laptop to the pc. Maybe microsoft added something dumb like a power save mode or something.

rapierv

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018
I would hope it is not some USB driver thing. You should not need any drivers for the motherboard. The only other thing maybe some setting is different in the wifi from your laptop to the pc. Maybe microsoft added something dumb like a power save mode or something.

the usb driver works fine, any device i plugged into the same slot works fine. And yeah, it is definitely the microsoft's <Mod Edit>, what a piece of work, and i cant figure out what's the cause.

Last edited by a moderator: