ScottForum

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
My wireless network/Internet connection goes dark at seemingly random times, possibly under heavy load. The adapter actually disappears from Network Connections. Upon a reboot or disabling/re-enabling toggle in Device Manager, adapter is re-enabled and all good.

I have ruled out…
  • bad card (replaced)
  • driver (tried various versions)
  • pcie port (tried all 4 pcie mobo ports)
Is there any other means of testing hardware? What might else be the issue?

Troubleshooting steps I’ve taken…
  • WLAN Report simply indicates a network disconnect and that there's no adapter
  • Re-installed latest adapter driver and tried older version
  • TCP/IP reset, winsock reset, dns flushed, network released/renewed
  • I've ran the memory diagnostics, health-related scans
  • All other hardware drivers recently updated
PC:
  • Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P
  • CPU: Intel i7-8700
  • RAM: 64GB
  • OS Storage: NVMe, Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB
  • WIFI Adapter: TP-Link TX3000E pcie, Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
  • GC: AMD/Radeon RX550

Solution
As somewhat anticipated, changing adapter to AC only did not help. I neglected to consider the reason I installed this adapter was my previous adapter's Internet connection had been getting dropped. I had not run a wlan report at that time, but feel it was the same issue.

I would highly doubt this is a 'settings' issue of the adapter. Again, I've never seen a case whereby a poor connection, or rejection by the network, causes the adapter to completely disappear from the system. I believe this is mobo related, but have no idea how to test for it. I thought about adding any other card to a pcie slot, but how would I track its use?

Maybe you should try a cheap USB Wi-Fi adaptor to see if it also gets disconnected, even a $10 USB...

ScottForum

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
How far were you from the Wi-Fi router? Is there any obstacle like wall, door...?
When functioning properly, connection to router is a strong/solid 584 Mbps. My Internet connection maxes out. Furthermore, I've never seen a poor connection completely wipeout the adapter, removing it from the system.

ScottForum

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
Both devices are for Wi-Fi 6, is your router is Wi-Fi 6 certified?
As somewhat anticipated, changing adapter to AC only did not help. I neglected to consider the reason I installed this adapter was my previous adapter's Internet connection had been getting dropped. I had not run a wlan report at that time, but feel it was the same issue.

I would highly doubt this is a 'settings' issue of the adapter. Again, I've never seen a case whereby a poor connection, or rejection by the network, causes the adapter to completely disappear from the system. I believe this is mobo related, but have no idea how to test for it. I thought about adding any other card to a pcie slot, but how would I track its use?

Maybe you should try a cheap USB Wi-Fi adaptor to see if it also gets disconnected, even a $10 USB Wi-Fi can do 150Mbps.

Solution

ScottForum

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
Maybe you should try a cheap USB Wi-Fi adaptor to see if it also gets disconnected, even a $10 USB Wi-Fi can do 150Mbps.
Solid suggestion. I plugged one in and since late yesterday, no disconnections. Coincidentally, this morning my main audio controller flaked out. Definitely leaning towards bad mobo now.